Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

2017 Velocity red sunglo touchup

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 03:01 PM
Ashnic
Road Warrior
Received 270 Likes on 107 Posts
Default 2017 Velocity red sunglo touchup

Been searching and can't seem to find any anywhere..My Streetglide had a small run in (about the size of a pencil eraser) with my trailer today..want to get everything together and get it fixed but can't seem to find it anywhere..
Thanks

Old 10-09-2016, 08:49 AM
hikervt
Banned
Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Ashnic
Been searching and can't seem to find any anywhere..My Streetglide had a small run in (about the size of a pencil eraser) with my trailer today..want to get everything together and get it fixed but can't seem to find it anywhere..
Thanks
On my 2016 Velocity Red Sunglo Street Glide Special, I had a small nick that I bought the paint kit from harley to repair.. Here is the part number for the 2016, should be the same I think.

98601DZT -Kit,TU VLCTY RED SUNGLO - When I got it, I had to have the dealer look up my bike by the vin, and it told him the color kit.

One comment or advice about applying. Take a sheet of paper or some cardboard and play around with the mix. The base coat is silver colored paint (this is where the metallic is) which goes under a red clear(no metallic in the red). You will see when you get the kit. If you two step it, letting each dry fully, you won't be happy with the outcome. I found it best to apply the silver metallic lightly, let it dry for 5 minutes, then put the red clear over it. This will reactivate(lack of a better word) the silver and cause it to mix slightly with the red. This "slight" mix will control how much metallic you get. Thus why I suggest do some testing. Hope that helps..

Old 10-09-2016, 09:06 AM
hikervt
Banned

One other comment. When painting a nick, dab, don't swipe with the brush. I saw a video online that gave me this idea. It showed if you try to swiping with the brush, you will make it worse. I think the video was done by Law Abiding Biker on his Amber Whiskey Street glide. Check out youtube..

You will also see each coat shrinks as it drys.. Mine looked like it had a bubble, then as it dried it turned into an indent. I had to apply more on top. Hard to explain, but if you play with you can get it close to perfect (only you will know it's there).

I am not a paint guy, so take this next line with caution. When I messed up the first try on the bike, I simply wiped it off with some rubbing alcohol. This works even after it drys for 10 minutes or so. After 10 minutes or so, you have to use something harsher to remove. Again, not a paint guy here, so YMMV.

Old 10-09-2016, 01:39 PM
hikervt
Banned

Was just thinking about it. I don't need this touch up paint anymore now that I have my 2017 CVO. If you PM me your address I'll send it to you. It's the least I can do for someone that's had so many misfortunes..

Old 01-11-2017, 07:42 PM
Jill Wydrinski
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have a PPG paint code for the Velocity Red Sunglo?

Old 01-12-2017, 06:58 AM
snipit
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,917 Likes on 4,158 Posts

Originally Posted by Ashnic
Thanks
http://www.colorrite.com/product/har...unglo-2758.cfm

Old 01-12-2017, 07:21 AM
Ashnic
Road Warrior
Received 270 Likes on 107 Posts

Go to your dealer with your Vin# they will give you the code.

Old 03-31-2017, 05:52 AM
kevnsteph2016sg
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

has anybody tried the paint from color rite or VMR? looking to purchase some paint to do my speaker lids and inner fairing. wondering how the color match is?
thanks!

Old 08-30-2017, 10:14 AM
HD paint
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

PPG paint codes are 944055-1 and 944055-2. Base is a gray metallic and top a red pearl.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:39 PM
ROC OUT
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HD paint
PPG paint codes are 944055-1 and 944055-2. Base is a gray metallic and top a red pearl.
Does HD use a separate clear coat over the top red pearl?

Quick Reply: 2017 Velocity red sunglo touchup