Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

painting lower forks black

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 10:14 PM
biskit
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default painting lower forks black

I'm thinking of painting? my stock lower forks, black on my Night Train.
I've checked the search, but can anyone tell me what steps and material I need to do this myself?
Or should I find a powder coater?

Also have a set of second hand chrome mini-apes, steps involved for painting black?

I've removed the reflectors from my forks, I've done this a few times on other bikes, heat, peel, wd40, or goooff, very successfully, but this time one side looked stained...but I f'ed up by using Mothers polish on a spot and it took the finish off!
Black would look better anyway, just need to know how to do it and what type of paint?

Thanks for any help,
-Biskit

Old 03-09-2008, 10:40 PM
ecoli
Cruiser
Default RE: painting lower forks black

Powdercoat the lower fork legs and the handlebars.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:01 PM
J
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just had my front end powdercoated. It looks great and the lowers only cost around $100. Powder is much more durable than paint. You'll probably spent half that on materials to paint it yourself. Go for the powdercoat.

[IMG]local://upfiles/10047/E82D5532DE18436EBFA06A1FCEDB36B5.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-09-2008, 11:03 PM
spike95
Road Master

Powder coating would, of course, be much more durable over the long haul. If you are on a tight budget (or tooimpatient to wait on the powdercoater), it can be done with spray paint. I did my air cleaner and pipes with spray paint. You just might have to touch them up periodically. I started by scuffing up the chrome really well with a scotchbrite pad, cleaned with a degreaser, dried for several hours,then primer, and then some high quality spray paint in several light coats followed by a couple light sprays of clear-coat. In the case of your lowers, you'll need to strip the finish somehow first. And, of course, if you do the pipes you need to use exhaust paint. If you really want to get fancy with it, you can always wet sand it and polish. You'd be amazed how good spray paint can look.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:11 PM
J
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: spike95

Powder coating would, of course, be much more durable over the long haul. If you are on a tight budget (or tooimpatient to wait on the powdercoater), it can be done with spray paint. I did my air cleaner and pipes with spray paint. You just might have to touch them up periodically. I started by scuffing up the chrome really well with a scotchbrite pad, cleaned with a degreaser, dried for several hours,then primer, and then some high quality spray paint in several light coats followed by a couple light sprays of clear-coat. In the case of your lowers, you'll need to strip the finish somehow first. And, of course, if you do the pipes you need to use exhaust paint. If you really want to get fancy with it, you can always wet sand it and polish. You'd be amazed how good spray paint can look.
How is the paint holding up on the pipes? I want 2 do mine but the weather is starting 2 break in NY and I know the minute I send the pipes 2 powdercoat I'm gonna miss some good riding time. You can't clear them... can you?

Old 03-09-2008, 11:14 PM
cyarnell
Cruiser

100 dollar for lower legs i had all below done for less than 300 but then again i know people. not saying you dont. but like they said powdercoat not paint

[IMG]local://upfiles/48587/00AF297342294C2A80C030FDF60B0808.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-09-2008, 11:36 PM
spike95
Road Master

The paint is holding up just fine, but it has honestlyonly been a couple months since I did it. I'd just try to be careful not to scratch it too much. There is no clear coat for exhaust that I am aware of. Exhaust paint only comes in satin or flat black. If you want gloss, you'll need to go ceramic or powder.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:41 PM
85FXWG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get a set of train lower legs on Ebay that have fresh Black powder coating for $100
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HARLE...spagenameZWDVW

Old 03-10-2008, 12:00 PM
biskit
Advanced

Thanks folks,
I'll start looking for a local shop that does powder coating.

Don't think the ones on ebay will fit an '07.

thanks again,
-Biskit

Old 03-10-2008, 12:49 PM
Frisian HD
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Ask Darkman, I'm not sure , I believe he painted them!!!

Quick Reply: painting lower forks black