Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

New powder coating spray booth

Old 01-28-2011, 06:38 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts
Default New powder coating spray booth

Well, I bought the powder coating system over a year ago, i'm just now getting it up and going. I coated a few parts to try it out, works great. Now it's time for the booth. I have most of it built, hopefully i'll be able to finish it over the weekend. It's 4 foot wide, 3 foot deep and 6 1/2 foot tall. I'm going to make an oven the same size next. My goal is to be able to powder coat frames, so I don't foresee any need to build a larger oven yet. What do you guys think so far? I just have to put the metal on the sides and put some white plastic on the inside, install a light, filters and hook up the exhaust blower.

Attached Thumbnails New powder coating spray booth-booth.jpg  
Old 01-29-2011, 08:40 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

what is your ventalation system?
here is our set up in the shop

the main thing though with powder is prep.. how are you set up for your media and stripping?

Old 01-29-2011, 09:49 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

Hey Joe. I am putting 3 25"x16" filters down the center of the back wall. I will duct it out the bottom into a 2400CFM dust collection system I have, probably just exhaust it into the shop for now, air should be clean as it will be going through the 3 pre-filters then through 2 more in the dust collection system. I have a large 60" media cabinet right now, I havn't decided which media would be best yet, (your advice would be greatly appreciated). I am also going to get another solvent tank for B17 possibly? (still doing research on strippers/cleaners. I also have a pot blast tank I can sand blast with for things that won't fit in the cabinet. This is just a hoby I want to do, mainly for myself and my bikes. I work as a tech and dyno tech for a local speedshop, I also own a small HVAC business as well as a full sheet metal fab shop. I don't have the time to take on any jobs and don't plan too. PC'ing is something that I have been interested in for a long time, I bought a hyper smooth sytem, I was given a Eastwood system as well, but it seams to be junk, so I'll stick with the Hypersmooth for now. You have a pretty sweet looking both there, what are you using for an oven? My plans are to build an oven the same size as my booth, I will make a rolling rack that will roll from the booth to the oven so I don't have to "manually" transfer parts.

I checked out your web site, you guys do some awesome work. If I have people that want stuff done after I do mine, i'll definately refer them to you guys.

Any input/advice you have would be great. Thanks

Chad

Old 01-29-2011, 11:51 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

sounds good man... looks like a solid plan... let me know if you hae any questions and thanks for any referals and the props on the work... took a long long time to get where we are now and the qualtiy that is turned out... it is a blast to coat man.. was up till 2:30 am yesterday doing it!

Old 01-29-2011, 11:55 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

Yeah, i'm getting pretty jazzed about tearing into my ride. Got some pretty good ideas of what I want, and a pile of stock take off parts to play with. I appreciate the offer of advice, i'm sure i'll have some questions along the way Any good forums you can recommend?