Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Tech & Mechanical Forum > Powdercoat & Paint
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.
Sponsored by: CR Spotless

P

Old 12-31-2010, 04:20 PM
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Touch up paint?

Has anyone had to use the H-D touch up paint? Does it match good or should I have the dealer do it.

I got about a 1/16th chip through the paint.

If you want a story:

So putting my softbrake on and I'm using bolts with LED's for the plate light. So I get the plate relocater on and then find out that the holes aren't big enough for the light bolts. You know where this is going. So I go to take it off (not even bolted in) and my brother says "don't bother, I'll drill it through and won't come close to the bike" Well sure enough he taps it chips the paint to the fender. S.O.B all to save 5 seconds.

2010 Softail Deluxe
V&H Big Shot Staggered
Stage 1
Shotgun Shock
DNA 21" and 18" Fat Spokes
Old 12-31-2010, 06:59 PM
Club Member
ia2189

My story: I tried touching up my front fender with the HD touch up paint. It matched perfectly (black pearl), but I did not have the steady hand for the touch up. Ended up making it worse than it was with all my globs and smudges. Took it to a local body paint shop (same one the dealers use here locally) and they fixed it right up. Looked brand new when it was done. I wanted to hug the guy he did such an awesome job fixing my foul up. "Touch up" isn't as easy as it sounds (for me anyway) and for anything more than a nick, I'll be taking it to a pro.

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." --Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-31-2010, 08:59 PM
Road Master
Send a message via Yahoo to ramhunter9

I have a ball point pin size chip . Ordered some touch up paint and clear .... I need to take it in
Old 01-01-2011, 12:46 AM
Elite HDF Member

Touching up chips or scratches can be successful with touch up paint but you have to realize it is a PROCESS. With even a small chip I will apply three or four touches to it. Wait about 10 minutes between touches. Your goal is to slowly build it up to the original level of the remaining paint. I use a matchstick as a brush and when completely dry (the next day) rub it out gently with a decent swirl remover.

If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence, try orderin' somebody else's dog around..
Old 01-29-2011, 09:51 PM
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozy22 View Post
Has anyone had to use the H-D touch up paint? Does it match good or should I have the dealer do it.

I got about a 1/16th chip through the paint.

If you want a story:

So putting my softbrake on and I'm using bolts with LED's for the plate light. So I get the plate relocater on and then find out that the holes aren't big enough for the light bolts. You know where this is going. So I go to take it off (not even bolted in) and my brother says "don't bother, I'll drill it through and won't come close to the bike" Well sure enough he taps it chips the paint to the fender. S.O.B all to save 5 seconds.
Everything looks easy when you watch a pro do it.
"Basscatcher" hit the nail on the head. It's a process. Take you time. Remember that cleanliness is super important. Be sure to use a little wax and grease remover on the effected area. Be sure that there is no crud in the chip ... then paint on. A tooth pick or a matchstick is generally an excellent way to keep the paint only in the needed area. Remember that it is usually better to apply several dabs giving sufficent dry time between.
1979 FXEF STROKER ( BLACK, OF COURSE ! )
BUSHTEC QUANTUM TRAILER ( BLACK, OF COURSE ! )
AMA MEMBER / ABATE MEMBER
Old 01-29-2011, 09:51 PM

P

Tags
black, coat, davidson, harley, hd, paint, pearl, powder, touch, touching, touchup