Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Tech & Mechanical Forum > Powdercoat & Paint
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.
Sponsored by: CR Spotless

P

Old 05-02-2011, 08:22 AM
One Of The Regulars
Default HD touch-up kit for "candied" colors

I did the stupid "drop the wrench on the tank" thing on my '11 Ultra and I am left with a paint chip to fix. My color is light/dark candy root beer. I bought the touch up kit from HD and it comes with 3 bottles. The dark base, the light base, and the candy topcoat. The service guy said I should treat the candy top coat like a clear coat and use that to build up the paint thickness after applying the base coat.

Is this correct, or do I need to get some clear coat? I only want to do this once.

Thanks all

Jeff

Last edited by 56tbird; 05-02-2011 at 08:32 AM..
Old 07-13-2012, 11:00 AM
Road Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56tbird View Post
I did the stupid "drop the wrench on the tank" thing on my '11 Ultra and I am left with a paint chip to fix. My color is light/dark candy root beer. I bought the touch up kit from HD and it comes with 3 bottles. The dark base, the light base, and the candy topcoat. The service guy said I should treat the candy top coat like a clear coat and use that to build up the paint thickness after applying the base coat.

Is this correct, or do I need to get some clear coat? I only want to do this once.

Thanks all

Jeff
How did it work out Jeff? I have a similar problem on my root beer.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:19 AM
EightBall524 EIGHT_BALL_524

Think of the Candy as a tint. Every layer of candy you apply is going to change the tones of the underlying base. Your service guy is blowing smoke in your tailpipe. Candy is a VERY tricky paint to touch up and make it look good. If I were you I would have it professionally done. If not however apply your base coat and start layering coats of candy until you are happy with the match then build a clear coat to level it off. wet sand with 800 grit and work your way to 2000 grit paper. Buff and enjoy.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:19 AM

P