Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

Frame paint damage

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 11:29 AM
Scaredofrain
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Frame paint damage

The Ultra goes in for a service soon and I just want to ask you guys for your opinion/advise on the following: The underside of the frame has, due to stone chips I suppose" a few edges where the paint has peeled off. Surface rust has appeared so it's not just "overpainting" anymore. Do you guys think that a good dealer will be able to blast this localised and paint properly or will it become a reoccuring issue. I was hoping to have the dealer correct this after which I could coat it with a coating such as truck bed liner or something similar which will cuchion the paintwork somewhat.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:48 PM
3408pete
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

personally I wouldnt want a blaster of any kind close to a complete motor cycle.the blasting media gets everyplace even when it is wrapped in plastic.What I would do would be myself and I would just scuff it with sandpaper prime it and then pain it stopping at a place on the frame where I didnt have to try and blend the paint.If it isnt visible then you could stop at a masking line where you stopped scuffing it.A good spray bomb over a good primer wouldnt cost you even what half a hr at a dealer would cost

Old 11-14-2012, 01:51 PM
jaysledge
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just did my frame where there were chips and rust. Sandpaper, tape, plastic, primer and Rustolium Gloss Black. Good as new.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:34 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by jaysledge
Just did my frame where there were chips and rust. Sandpaper, tape, plastic, primer and Rustolium Gloss Black. Good as new.
Yup! This is true

Old 11-15-2012, 11:23 AM
Scaredofrain
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks guys. What is the concencus on using truckbed liner afterwards?

Old 11-15-2012, 12:52 PM
3408pete
Ultimate HDF Member

I wouldnt myself---------------if you dont get the rust stopped it will continue to work under the bed liner.I thought I was going to be smart and rhino tuffed a 80000$ stainless reefer trailer that was new.It didnt seal off and is now rusting under the bed liner and its about impossible to get offother than with a sandblaster

Old 11-15-2012, 01:25 PM
Scaredofrain
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 3408pete
I wouldnt myself---------------if you dont get the rust stopped it will continue to work under the bed liner.I thought I was going to be smart and rhino tuffed a 80000$ stainless reefer trailer that was new.It didnt seal off and is now rusting under the bed liner and its about impossible to get offother than with a sandblaster
I would sort out the rust before anything else, that's quite clear. I mean, after sorting out the paint work, I was thinking about the coating.
My question to you though is "how does a stainless trailer get to rust" (unless it's a very low grade stainless)?

Old 11-15-2012, 01:30 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

Use a acidic cleaner to remove the final traces of rust before applying any primer or finish.

I grew up repairing rust in an Ohio body shop and I can tell you that removing every last trace of the rust is the most important step in the repair process.

And like someone else already mentioned, a sandblaster or the like has no place around a fully assembled motorcycle.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:52 PM
3408pete
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Scaredofrain
I would sort out the rust before anything else, that's quite clear. I mean, after sorting out the paint work, I was thinking about the coating.
My question to you though is "how does a stainless trailer get to rust" (unless it's a very low grade stainless)?

damn sorry-----------------for what ever reason I must of left off the part about it covered the mild steel landing gear and long members what stainless attachment stuff also rusted though.The grades of stainless on this stuff isnt a non rust medical grade

Old 11-16-2012, 11:23 AM
Scaredofrain
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 3408pete
damn sorry-----------------for what ever reason I must of left off the part about it covered the mild steel landing gear and long members what stainless attachment stuff also rusted though.The grades of stainless on this stuff isnt a non rust medical grade
That makes sense.
I use stainless for pump stations and there will be acid used in the room they stand as well as the acid we pump on these units. I always tell my customers that it is called stainless steel because it "staines less" than other metals. They did not call it "stainfree" , and for a good reason.

Quick Reply: Frame paint damage