Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

Rattle-can paint jobs... let's see 'em!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 03:43 AM
Strahley
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are some pictures of the paint I've been doing. Don't mind the mess, it turns into a war zone when I'm out there until 3am. It's nice and tidy now

It's a 2002 FXSTI. It used to have the silver engine/transmission and black paint on the tanks/fenders. I painted the engine/transmission gloss black and I crafted a navy blue metallic color for the metals

For the engine/trans I used VHT primer (3 coats), gloss black (3 coats), and two very thin coats of their clear coat. I had to use a quick mist because their clear coat really likes to "ghost" the black. After wetsanding and using some compound it turned out well. I've been wanting to have this done for 3 years, glad I finally did it

For the fenders and oil/gas tank I used a variety of products. I used Rustoleum automotive primer (2-3 coats), Krylon Fusion Navy Blue (1 light coat, 2 medium), a very light/quick shot of Krylon Glitter Blast Silver Flash (one of these small cans would probably do two or three bikes), and Rustoleum Crystal Clear Enamel. I have not painted the gas tank yet but I bought a can of 2K to use instead of the Rustoleum clear

I used the Rustoleum primer for its rust-resistant qualities and because I like how it sprays. I also coated all of the "hidden" spots (like under the fenders/in the wheel well) of each piece with two coats of it

Keep in mind I have four very bright shop lights directly above the bike, so it looks much lighter than it really is. In "normal" lighting it's much darker. The last picture is much closer than the others

This is how it looked the day I bought it

This all started with a drive belt change...which kept leading to another thing, and another, and another

Mocked up with new cylinders (sending these off soon to bore out to 98")

Primary done (90% all new stuff inside there)

Fenders

Oil tank/transmission

Profile shots (the wheel in the background was Plasti Dipped)

Old 03-14-2015, 10:59 PM
camo1ton
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To The Top

Been dead for a while, like to see more.
I have some new bags I'm thinking of canning.
Need more results.

Old 03-15-2015, 07:09 AM
Sprawl
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sandking1
Thanks! Everything except the tank is rattle can. The tank will be done next. Only problem I found was the clear coat is a little "soft". My passenger suction pillion messed up the rear fender pretty bad, need to figure out a better solution to that.
Came across this website one day when I was looking for a better *** PAD solution!

http://www.badasspads.com

Old 03-28-2015, 09:22 AM
goatfarmer
Advanced
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Painted the sliders and front fender with the rattlecan method. Four coats Rustoleum Painters Touch 2X and four coats of clear same paint. The sliders painted with Ace Hardware Appliance Epoxy paint. Exhaust with Ace Hardware BBQ paint.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:13 AM
jakazz
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

my turn, all alsa products, metallic silver, black marblizer, tangerine orange candy, speed clear. all cans. they brand them as killer cans. 30 bucks each, but every once in a while they have a 2for1 sale.

these pics show with just the clear sprayed, no cut or buff.....was eager to ride..lol

Old 03-31-2015, 08:18 AM
jakazz
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

u def need to watch the flash times on the 2k, if not long enough u will get "solvent" gasses trying to escape under the next coat of clear.

other than that any good instruction from any autobody/paint dedicated forum will have something to go off of.

OH and be careful with the iso' paints good organic reperator, with a fresh filter, because old filters no workie, u can tell when u have been exposed, stomach ache, headache, and shitty feeling in general. Be safe, these will kill u with liver and kidney failure.

Old 05-14-2015, 02:54 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 412 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by jakazz
my turn, all alsa products, metallic silver, black marblizer, tangerine orange candy, speed clear. all cans. they brand them as killer cans. 30 bucks each, but every once in a while they have a 2for1 sale.

these pics show with just the clear sprayed, no cut or buff.....was eager to ride..lol

Dude,
How did you do that? That's all with a rattle can?

Old 05-28-2015, 02:52 PM
Tyrel M. Hanson
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a 2007 Street Glide, vivid black. I have been looking into powdercoating everything except a few chrome accent items. A friend told me to look into rattle-canning it and seeing how it works. I found this thread and am pretty impressed with some of the jobs done by y'all but now I really have to know... If you did front lower fork legs, horn cover, crash guard, derby, timing, primary cover, etc.... How long did the rattle job last before you had to redo it or just powdercoat it?

Old 06-19-2015, 04:03 AM
shadowchrome
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First, I'll start off by saying this isn't a rattle can paint job. It is, however, DIY and cheap! I saw an earlier reference in this thread to using John Deere Blitz Black equipment paint. That is what this is but purchased by the quart with a hardener added. I also used their primer/sealer. Cheap HVLP gun, shot outside.

The following users liked this post:
jackalsilva (06-01-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 06:28 AM
hsr
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll play. Just finished this yesterday. Krylon Glitterblast Starry Night (black) and Cherry Bomb (red) under Spraymax 2K on my '09 Street Bob.

Attached Thumbnails Rattle-can paint jobs... let's see 'em!-img_2953.jpg   Rattle-can paint jobs... let's see 'em!-img_2954.jpg   Rattle-can paint jobs... let's see 'em!-img_2952.jpg  

Quick Reply: Rattle-can paint jobs... let's see 'em!