Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

Rattle-can paint jobs... let's see 'em!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 06:31 AM
hsr
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Shot the pieces above in a temporary paint booth in the backyard.

Attached Thumbnails Rattle-can paint jobs... let's see 'em!-img_2946.jpg   Rattle-can paint jobs... let's see 'em!-img_2943.jpg  
Old 04-18-2016, 08:45 AM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 412 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by hsr
I'll play. Just finished this yesterday. Krylon Glitterblast Starry Night (black) and Cherry Bomb (red) under Spraymax 2K on my '09 Street Bob.
That's cool, how did you do that, with the glitter? What's the application process?

Old 04-18-2016, 09:35 AM
hsr
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Road Star
That's cool, how did you do that, with the glitter? What's the application process?
Thanks.

My tins were originally black, but the stock paint had seen better days. So I sanded them down with 600 grit to get the imperfections out. Then I just applied the Glitter Blast over the scuffed surface. I had a stencil cut for the shield logo to apply the red, then to cover the red to get the black right up to it. Meaning, there isn't black glitter under the red. After a couple weeks of cure time (the glitter surface becomes more flat in texture the longer it dries), the clear was put on Saturday. The clear was the only painting I did in that temporary booth.

Several people on chopcult have used these products/method with great results, but I had yet to see anyone do the black glitter (Krylon calls it Starry Night). Finished, it looks a bit charcoal grey in the pictures, but it's actually a deep black with silver glitter specs.

AND, I have only roughly $150 in materials total. That includes primer (I took my fenders down to bare metal because of how bad in undersides were from stone chipping/surface rust), Glitter Blast (1 can red, 3 cans black), tape, sandpaper, 3 cans of Spraymax and the wood/plastic and furnace filters to make the booth. Although I had most of the 1 x 2's, the lower drop cloth, some grits of sandpaper and used 50% coupons for the Krylon paint at Michael's.

Attached Thumbnails Rattle-can paint jobs... let's see 'em!-img_2738.jpg   Rattle-can paint jobs... let's see 'em!-img_2758.jpg   Rattle-can paint jobs... let's see 'em!-img_2760.jpg  

Last edited by hsr; 04-18-2016 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:30 PM
thor05deluxe
Cruiser

Awesome jobs... Those all look very good..

Old 04-28-2016, 04:36 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

I just finished my front fender and helmet.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:26 PM
Nelz
Cruiser
Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

A lot of nice work here. I didn't do this one, but saw this post on the forum today. Nice job:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...-the-tins.html

Old 05-05-2016, 02:01 AM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Just painted the front fender, rattle-can, 2K Clear.

Old 05-08-2016, 10:43 PM
crzyjetskr
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great work with a rattle can! I painted many sport bikes out side with base/clear and they always came out great. Gotta be patient with the clear but the base is super easy to lay down.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:29 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by crzyjetskr
Great work with a rattle can! I painted many sport bikes out side with base/clear and they always came out great. Gotta be patient with the clear but the base is super easy to lay down.
Hey, I gotta ask, is that your last name?

Old 09-18-2016, 11:40 AM
wildoregon
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prep and paint on bare ABS bags

Simply Impressive!

As if I didn't need a new project ... this really stirs the imagination. Gotta love DIY knowledge.

I have new bare ABS extended bags and want to know how pros prep the bag for paint. Is there a specific filler, sanding, and primer method to use?

Secondly, I want to use candy paint. What are the Pros and Cons of using can candy?

Quick Reply: Rattle-can paint jobs... let's see 'em!