Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

Rattle-can paint jobs... let's see 'em!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 08:09 AM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 412 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by RANGER73
Did my fenders in the garage over the winter

Looks great!

Old 11-11-2019, 12:39 PM
Chad M Geddings
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i Need some help first time

Originally Posted by Strahley
Here are some pictures of the paint I've been doing. Don't mind the mess, it turns into a war zone when I'm out there until 3am. It's nice and tidy now

It's a 2002 FXSTI. It used to have the silver engine/transmission and black paint on the tanks/fenders. I painted the engine/transmission gloss black and I crafted a navy blue metallic color for the metals

For the engine/trans I used VHT primer (3 coats), gloss black (3 coats), and two very thin coats of their clear coat. I had to use a quick mist because their clear coat really likes to "ghost" the black. After wetsanding and using some compound it turned out well. I've been wanting to have this done for 3 years, glad I finally did it

For the fenders and oil/gas tank I used a variety of products. I used Rustoleum automotive primer (2-3 coats), Krylon Fusion Navy Blue (1 light coat, 2 medium), a very light/quick shot of Krylon Glitter Blast Silver Flash (one of these small cans would probably do two or three bikes), and Rustoleum Crystal Clear Enamel. I have not painted the gas tank yet but I bought a can of 2K to use instead of the Rustoleum clear

I used the Rustoleum primer for its rust-resistant qualities and because I like how it sprays. I also coated all of the "hidden" spots (like under the fenders/in the wheel well) of each piece with two coats of it

Keep in mind I have four very bright shop lights directly above the bike, so it looks much lighter than it really is. In "normal" lighting it's much darker. The last picture is much closer than the others

This is how it looked the day I bought it

This all started with a drive belt change...which kept leading to another thing, and another, and another

Mocked up with new cylinders (sending these off soon to bore out to 98")

Primary done (90% all new stuff inside there)

Fenders

Oil tank/transmission

Profile shots (the wheel in the background was Plasti Dipped)

yours looks good can you give me the seps on rattle can my tank and fenders on my 96 fatboy I have them down to bare metal can you tell me how to do it I want to do gloss black or gloss black with flake

Old 11-19-2019, 04:31 PM
Irn1200
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Star
Looks great!
+1 damn, great job.

Old 12-05-2019, 04:37 AM
BikerPepe`
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,846 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Just found this thread. I'm all rattle-canned up ever since my total and rebuild, back in 2006.

Black Primer sealer on the tank and fenders. Satin black on the bags, because I had to re-fiberglass the bottom of the custom bags and couldn't find Black Primer sealer anymore.

Old 01-09-2020, 10:03 PM
Wrinkledoggie
6th Gear
Default Rattle Can Tattle Man

Not my Police Road King but rather my Kawi Vulcan 1500 Classic.....been thinking about whether to give the Road King a similar treatment

Old 01-09-2020, 10:06 PM
Wrinkledoggie
6th Gear

Her name is Lulu by the way

Old 01-14-2020, 01:53 PM
Mallard Slayer
Road Warrior
Received 4,157 Likes on 1,125 Posts

after checking out this thread and others like it I decided to give this a try! I didn't paint a whole bike but I did need a fender painted one that I modified!
I am by no means a painter and have spray caned a few things but never anything like this!
I gathered up my materials and followed instructions to a T!! had automotive paint mixed and placed in a rattle can got decent primer and a 2K clear coat and jumped in with both feet!!
I am quite pleased with the results!! HD forums is full of awesome info!! Thanks guys!!

The following 2 users liked this post by Mallard Slayer:
GreenHarleyDaren (04-22-2020), paoloD (02-12-2020)