Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

Rattle-can paint jobs... let's see 'em!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 11:21 PM
Victorious_Secret
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hok Aerosol can fairing paint jot

Here is how my fairing turned out using HoK aerosols (fancy way to say rattle can a UPOL Clear. The faring turned out pretty good to match the Colormania job I had done about a year ago which is holding up very well by the way.

I thought I came out pretty good, unless I tell people it was a rattle can garage job the would know and don't believe either way.

Attached Thumbnails Rattle-can paint jobs... let's see 'em!-20140310_125022_resized.jpg   Rattle-can paint jobs... let's see 'em!-20140310_125043_resized.jpg  
Old 03-21-2014, 09:10 AM
1sandking1
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Victorious_Secret
Here is how my fairing turned out using HoK aerosols (fancy way to say rattle can a UPOL Clear. The faring turned out pretty good to match the Colormania job I had done about a year ago which is holding up very well by the way.

I thought I came out pretty good, unless I tell people it was a rattle can garage job the would know and don't believe either way.
Nice work! What kind of paint and clear did you use on this?

Old 03-21-2014, 08:33 PM
Victorious_Secret
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used a House of Color brandy wine KBC, a sparkle black PBC and Orion silver in an PBC for pin striping as well all spray can and U-POL urethane clear. The HoK aerosols where purchased from coast airbrush. They have pretty much every HoK color in a can.

Old 03-22-2014, 01:50 AM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 412 Likes on 250 Posts

My goal is to do something like the Road Glide Skunk, however, I am not very artisitic... not sure how I could "blend" the white inset on my tank to go with the Road Glide Skunk paint scheme. Hoping I don't have to repaint the whole tank. I would like to leave the emblem on the tank.

Any ideas?

Old 03-25-2014, 08:51 AM
Rickierockit92
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Victorious_Secret

looks awesome!! is there a quick run down at all on this whoel process. ive heard people building there own paint booths then i hear of people just letting it dry. i have a sporty tank and heritage tins, along with a 64 duo glide im re doing and wanted to paint these all myself. figured if gonna learn this is way to do it. any advice would help, thanks!

Old 04-06-2014, 09:11 PM
cbrown6775
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gator Skin

I've been painting test panels the past few weeks. I wanted something original so I thought I was gonna try marbeling, but that requires a good candy and I never found anything in a rattle can that worked well. The other day, I layed down a primer, a few base coats, and 3 coats of clear(all rustolum). I wasn't happy with the look and was lazy so thought I would just lay primer over the clear to start over since it was just a test panel. Well when I came back 20 minutes later the primer had formed into a "crackle" or "gator skin". I love it, I layed 3 coats of clear(spray max 2 k mentioned earlier in this thread) over it to ensure it would stay and so far so good. So today I painted a helmet. I'm digging it.

I'm looking to paint my sportster in the coming weeks. My question is, after cleaning the factory paint using those cleaners that remove old wax n grime, how do I prep the tins? What grit sand paper should I scuf it with?

Thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails Rattle-can paint jobs... let's see 'em!-image.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
jackalsilva (06-01-2016)
Old 04-16-2014, 10:31 PM
Martow
Intermediate

Not quite done yet, but this is a before and after. My 1st rattle can attempt including the stenciled logo.

Attached Thumbnails Rattle-can paint jobs... let's see 'em!-day-0.jpg   Rattle-can paint jobs... let's see 'em!-day-8.jpg  
jackalsilva (06-01-2016)
Old 05-01-2014, 12:47 PM
bordhed
Intermediate

Martow- i did the same thing on my old night train using John Deere Blitz Black rattle can and had stencil made for painting on logo too.

Attached Thumbnails Rattle-can paint jobs... let's see 'em!-img_2251.jpg   Rattle-can paint jobs... let's see 'em!-img_2198.jpg  
jackalsilva (06-01-2016)
Old 05-01-2014, 10:58 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This is what I have been doing in between work, life, and keeping the little lady happy. I am working on the rear fender now. The weather finally let up and humidity dropped enough to spray the underside of the rear fender this morning before work. Tomorrow night I will wet sand that and clear it, then install the fender on the paint stand for the topside work.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:29 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 412 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by parts eeter

This is what I have been doing in between work, life, and keeping the little lady happy. I am working on the rear fender now. The weather finally let up and humidity dropped enough to spray the underside of the rear fender this morning before work. Tomorrow night I will wet sand that and clear it, then install the fender on the paint stand for the topside work.
Looks freaking awesome! What paint/clear did you use?

Quick Reply: Rattle-can paint jobs... let's see 'em!