Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

Question about HD paint upgrade....

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 08:51 AM
chamba
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question about HD paint upgrade....

Gents,
I am not looking for paint codes here. I want to ask about the paint that I bought from HD. treat me like a noob if you want, Im asking cause I dont know.
I bought a 2012 FXDC with HD Orange/Tequila Sunrise. It seems like in 2012 this was a theme for many models, and I think Ive seen some in 2013 as well(maybe not). So I know I paid more for it cause the MSRP was higher and had a line item for paint upgrade.
My question is this... is this the same as a paint series? like am I number 0xx of xxx?
if no, then what do I have.... like were there only x# of HDOrange/TequilaSunrise made, of that only x# were dynas. etc....?????
school me gents, am I even asking the right questions?
Thanks in advance

Old 02-03-2021, 03:07 AM
TLAugustine
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tlaugustine

I work for Harley is a tech in the late nineties in the first couple years of 2000 and what happened when someone would order special paint they would just keep your sheet metal and send sheet metal of your color choice and although it wasn't already available color they looked at it as nothing special back then I don't know what they have done or how it has changed in the Years you are talking but in the late nineties in the early 2000s that's what they did.

Old 02-03-2021, 09:56 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,562 Likes on 5,154 Posts

Originally Posted by chamba
Gents,
I am not looking for paint codes here. I want to ask about the paint that I bought from HD. treat me like a noob if you want, Im asking cause I dont know.
I bought a 2012 FXDC with HD Orange/Tequila Sunrise. It seems like in 2012 this was a theme for many models, and I think Ive seen some in 2013 as well(maybe not). So I know I paid more for it cause the MSRP was higher and had a line item for paint upgrade.
My question is this... is this the same as a paint series? like am I number 0xx of xxx?
if no, then what do I have.... like were there only x# of HDOrange/TequilaSunrise made, of that only x# were dynas. etc....?????
school me gents, am I even asking the right questions?
Thanks in advance
Had to tell what you are asking. But if you want to know how many of the model bike you have were painted with that color it is easy to find out. Call HD customer service Have your VIN number ready. About 6 months after product date ends they will tell you how many were made in the US . CA will be listed as it's own country. but they will give you the numbers.

Old 02-03-2021, 10:01 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,746 Likes on 18,544 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
Had to tell what you are asking. But if you want to know how many of the model bike you have were painted with that color it is easy to find out. Call HD customer service Have your VIN number ready. About 6 months after product date ends they will tell you how many were made in the US . CA will be listed as it's own country. but they will give you the numbers.
I bet he's ( OP ) had several color changes since November of 2013 :>)

Old 02-03-2021, 10:37 AM
MCSarge
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 446 Likes on 309 Posts

I have never really been able to find exact numbers broken down by color on a particular model other than CVO bikes. If the paint set is one of there limited sets then it will have a 1/100 etc. stenciled on it. Now a days if they come out with a "Special" mid year or when ever such as the Billiard Blue and Red Road Glides or the Eagle Eye Road Glides they normally say it is a limited run of 900 but they won't number the bikes. I have a 2020 Eagle Eye Road Glide Special and they were supposed to only make 900 or so. Because of Covid they never built the international models so they ended up only making 742 but, they aren't numbered.

Also a little info, the CVO and special color bikes are not painted by Harley anymore. They use a couple of different companies to paint the limited run sets. The Eagle Eye was painted by a company called Caliber ( or so I was told). Unfortunately their contract with Harley ended in Jan of this year. But Custom Painted Vehicles (CPV) out of Wisconsin has the paint code from Harley to be able to paint my front fender for my fat front tire kit. They also use a company called Gunslingers out of Colorado for limited paint runs.

Last edited by MCSarge; 02-03-2021 at 10:41 AM.