Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

Black and Red paint themes...?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 07:29 AM
override
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Black and Red paint themes...?

Here in a few months I will be gearing up to strip down my bike and do some powdercoating/painting. I am way out in the ballpark when it comes to paint, I don't know much of what goes into it besides your basics sand,primer,sand,paint,sand,finish. So I will be taking this to a shop and having it done, just need some knowledge to back up my **** so they don't try and rape me.

I have a few ideas though of what I want just have to figure out what type of paint I want to go with now. I would like a black with some red in it and an airbrushed retro harley logo on the tank. Have thought of incorporating a punisher skull into the "A" of the Harley logo but not sure how that would look.

As for paint I want to stick with matte type finishes, Harley denim black and red hot denim where the colors originally decided but now that I see the denim colors can't be touched up in the future I may decide against it. I don't mind the way the denim "fades" as harley states but if it ever gets scratched I would like to be able to touch them up. So Vivid black is another I looked at but I have not seen a "matching red" to go with the vivid black yet. Last but not least I actually considered just powdercoating the pieces but am not sure if they can do designs when it comes to PCing.

Another thing I have thought about is pinstripping but I don't think I want it to be laid over top a paint job and look out of place. I want something that will essentially be "sealed" all together.

So any help from you guys would be awesome, these are the colors/style schemes I have considered so far.

Black Denim:

Red Hot Denim:

Retro Logo:

Pinstripping:

Paint theme:

The paint theme is nice but I would want it changed to incorporate less red on the tank and rear fender. Pinstripping is cool but like I said not sure I just want it laid over top a paint job.

Thanks for any help from the guys who know paint!

Last edited by override; 02-26-2014 at 07:32 AM.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:25 PM
alcotune
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a big fan of red/black. I swapped out my tins to this combo from '07. I believe '06 had vivid black and red.

Attached Thumbnails Black and Red paint themes...?-02-04-12-030.jpg  
Old 02-26-2014, 05:36 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

we have done alot of red and black color combos for customers... comes out pretty sick, red and black are 1% colors, just something to think about depending on where you ride

Old 02-26-2014, 07:04 PM
override
Tourer

Damn that is sick! Whats up with the hand gaurds though, never seen those on a cruiser. I gotta question for ya, can powder coaters do designs like the one I have above? If I can get the paint job powdercoated rather than painted I may go that route.

1%? I don't think that applies to where I am at.

What is the matching matte red for vivid black? I was also curious, is the denim colors the only ones that can't be "touched up"

Last edited by override; 02-26-2014 at 07:11 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:14 AM
JRK5892
Banned

we have done flat red as well even some custom flat red colors we did a ton on wing i built a few years ago.. yes we can 2 tone and do other custom desings but there comes a point where paint is just flat out easier to do and that is less $$$ alot of guys we do 2 tone stuff for will have us powder the base and then will lay paint over the top for the red for example or we will 2 tone it and then they will have pin stripe done. doing scalops would be pretty $$$ in powder but we could def do it!

few more black and red bikes we have done

Old 02-27-2014, 09:18 AM
override
Tourer

Well now I just need to find someone in San Antonio that has experience with doing flat paints and mixing flattener in paints. The first guy I spoke to seemed rather unprofessional, telling me "well we are not setup for doing controlled paint so if a bug lands in it then well that's what you get." At the $2000-$2500 quote he gave me - no thank you. This was a Custom Hot Rod shop at that!

Anyone know any reputable shops in the San Antonio area?

Old 02-27-2014, 12:59 PM
JRK5892
Banned

no way...I haev shot hotrod flats paint before it is great stuff super easy to use. i am sure any painter will be able to ue it. maybe find a local auto body shop and see if anyone wants a side job

Old 02-28-2014, 08:47 AM
abi
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Old school designs are back in.

Last edited by abi; 02-28-2014 at 08:58 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:27 PM
override
Tourer

Originally Posted by JRK5892
no way...I haev shot hotrod flats paint before it is great stuff super easy to use. i am sure any painter will be able to ue it. maybe find a local auto body shop and see if anyone wants a side job
Good idea, I'll have to check around!

Originally Posted by abi
Old school designs are back in.

I really like this, do you have any better pictures showing more or less the full design?