Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

Cost of matching Hard Candy Voodoo Purple Flake?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 10:16 PM
Ayelith
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cost of matching Hard Candy Voodoo Purple Flake?

Hello! I have never priced out getting a bike painted before, especially not with a color like Harley's Hard Candy Voodoo Purple Flake. Unfortunately my model is not one that this color was offered on from Harley (I got a 2014 Sportster 1200 Custom) and I'd really like to match it as closely as possible. The guys at my local Harley dealer know a person who does a lot of body work and painting and highly recommended him to me, saying that "if you want it to look like a factory paint job, this guy is your man". The quote I received from him was $2,000 for the front and rear fender, and gas tank. As I said, I have never priced out a paint job before so I have no idea if this is high or low, but it seems rather high to me. However I also understand that this color is not as easy as popping open a can of paint...so perhaps this could account for the higher than expected cost? Does the metal flake add a significant amount? Does $2,000 sound reasonable for this? I was hoping to perhaps get a few more pieces done, but at $2k for the three...I'm thinking maybe not. Thanks in advance!!

Old 03-22-2014, 07:38 AM
abi
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Are there any other colors involved or just the whole thing purple candy with flake? $2000 is high if it's just the one color. I've done many sporty/chopper jobs that had a ton of old-school graphics, big flake and candies for less than $2000.

Like these

Last edited by abi; 03-22-2014 at 07:40 AM.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:50 AM
Ayelith
Intermediate

I'm rather ignorant in the world of paint, but it seems like there may be two different colors, and then the flake...I really can't be sure though. This is the color:

Cost of matching Hard Candy Voodoo Purple Flake?-hxeve80.jpg

Old 03-23-2014, 12:34 PM
abi
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably a black basecoat, followed by the flake, then purple candy. The flake and candy combination will give a wide variety of colors depending on the angle and lighting.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:22 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

if you want it on metal parts we wouldneed a sample but i would bet we can match that in powder

Old 03-25-2014, 10:10 AM
Ndfastln
Road Master
Received 157 Likes on 133 Posts

That color looks like (or very similar to) Voodoo Indigo flake. I would guess about a .015 size, although hard to tell from the picture. I have some of the Indigo in .008 sprayed out on a test panel and the color looks dead on, and yes you do see more than one color from the flake. It is kind of a prismatic effect that varies the color from red to blue. $2000. is high for just the 3 parts. I'm sure you could find a quality shop to do it about half that.

http://www.voodoo-flake.com/witch-doctor-015-hex/

Old 03-28-2014, 08:47 AM
Good_Apollo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Abi, where are you located in MI? I'm in Haslett/East Lansing wish I knew of your work a few years back when I got my tins painted on the FXDX, probably going to be going with different paint on it in the future though

Old 03-28-2014, 05:29 PM
Ayelith
Intermediate

Thanks everybody for the info! I have been calling around for quotes but every shop wants me to bring the bike in and of course they're all only open Mon-Fri 9-5... I really can't take a day off work to go gather quotes anytime soon. I'll keep trying!

Old 04-03-2014, 03:37 PM
Ayelith
Intermediate

Just an update! I found a place near where I live that has glowing reviews that is doing both fenders, gas tank, battery and oil cover, as well as applying a new decal under clear coat, for $1100 (labor, paint, and disassembly/reassembly included) I had gone to another place that quoted $1500 for labor alone for just the fender and gas tank, with me doing the disassembly/reassembly. But I gathered pretty quick that they're in the business of overcharging all around. I'll have a new paint job next week!

Old 08-12-2014, 08:32 PM
MFried
4th Gear
Default Paint Job is great

Do you have any pictures of what your bike turned out to look like?? I would really like to see since I am thinking of doing about the same on my 2008 fxdf. I would appreciate seeing yours.

Also, if you could give me any contact information as to who painted yours. I am wondering what they did for a mix. I have any idea how we will be going but would like to ask them also.

Quick Reply: Cost of matching Hard Candy Voodoo Purple Flake?