Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

Safest paint/thinner for infill on powder coated parts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 08:21 PM
kpreese
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safest paint/thinner for infill on powder coated parts?

I want to do some infill painting on some powder coated parts. What type of paint/thinner will make cleanup easiest and is safe for powder coating?

Thanks!
Kevin

Old 04-04-2014, 08:39 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hate to sound ignorant, but what is "infill painting"?

Old 04-04-2014, 08:50 PM
kpreese
Road Captain

Originally Posted by DeJavu
Hate to sound ignorant, but what is "infill painting"?
Not ignorant at all . . . I should have been clearer. I bought the derby cover in the photo below and want to put white paint into the milled lettering and the center ring. Generally with this type of thing, the paint is liberally applied and then thinner is used to wipe off the paint that is NOT in the recessed areas. I just don't want to damage the powder coating.

Maybe latex based paint so that water can be used to clean up while the paint is still wet?

Old 04-04-2014, 08:59 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have done similar fills and just used a dry cloth to wipe the excess. Any type of thinner can attack the Pcoat if not wiped off immediately. If the Pcoat is dulled slightly by the thinner it can be buffed out. Pcoat is plastic. Use thinner sparingly if you choose, I find dry cloth to work fine.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:10 PM
kpreese
Road Captain

Just thought I would upload the result. Powder coating makes this more challenging and the results less perfect. The edges and corners get rounded off making crisp, clean lines with the fill paint difficult or impossible. But . . . this is a derby cover and no one will be eye level and inspecting it.

I used acrylic paint and Goo Gone (NOT Goof Off). It was gentle enough, and so was I, that I could leave the fill paint in place and clean up the primary surface. It took patience and a few do-overs.

I'll upload a photo of it on the bike later. It is going on a gloss black Blackline with whitewalls. The original owner put the Willie G skull collection pretty much everywhere: mirrors, foot pegs, axle covers, you name it. It looks nice, but it's not my thing. Otherwise I love this bike. I will swap these things out with a mix of black and plain chrome parts over time.

Attached Thumbnails Safest paint/thinner for infill on powder coated parts?-colorfilledderby.jpg  
Old 04-07-2014, 12:26 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

looks great!

Old 04-07-2014, 12:47 PM
kpreese
Road Captain

Originally Posted by JRK5892
looks great!
Thanks Joe!

I remember when you first showed up in the Dyna section. You are doing phenomenal work with the powder coating! I used to frequent the forum and that section in particular back when I had a springer Street Bob. Unfortunately, I had to sell it a few years ago. I will always miss that bike and was proud of how she turned out. Nothing I can do about that now . . . it was the right choice for me at the time. The new owner liked it too much to sell it back to me.

I missed riding too much though and so I picked up a 2012 Blackline. I am looking forward to slowly making it mine. This was a good first step I think. Unique, but subtle is my preference.

Attached Thumbnails Safest paint/thinner for infill on powder coated parts?-colorfilledderby2.jpg  
Old 04-08-2014, 12:44 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

i really dig small touches like this, takes the bike to the next level