Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

Home Powder Coating Equipment Needed??

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 01:52 AM
lhgdale
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Home Powder Coating Equipment Needed??

Hello, I would like to start powdercoating from home. I would mostly be coating motorcycle parts that are chrome. Just the typical stuff gas doors, timing covers, derby covers and other stuff like that. I would like your input on the equipment I would need and if it would be worth the $.

After reading on some forums and watching videos this is what I think I would need.

Powder gun and starter kit (your basic starter kit from Eastwood or Harbor freight)

Small media blaster for chrome (I read you cannot powder over chrome, it has to be blasted. I found a portable media blaster at Harbor Freight for 40.00)

Air Compressor

Oven

I'm trying to do this on the cheap but want a decent setup. I can get most of this stuff at Harbor Freight with a coupon for a good deal.

Thanks for the help!

Old 07-23-2014, 08:40 AM
wideopen4life
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm setup to PC here. You WILL NOT media blast off chrome. It needs to be stripped off, most chrome shops can remove it for a nominal fee. If chrome is in good shape, with enough PSI you can etch it to coat over. Best of luck on the venture. I spent several months reading and gathering all I needed to get setup, (spent alot more than intended but worth every penny now).

Old 07-23-2014, 02:42 PM
lhgdale
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by wideopen4life
I'm setup to PC here. You WILL NOT media blast off chrome. It needs to be stripped off, most chrome shops can remove it for a nominal fee. If chrome is in good shape, with enough PSI you can etch it to coat over. Best of luck on the venture. I spent several months reading and gathering all I needed to get setup, (spent alot more than intended but worth every penny now).
Thanks, anyway you could tell me a little about your setup? Is there anyway to prep the chrome on your own? I would like to do it all at home. The chrome pieces would be in good shape newer take off parts. Thanks for the help.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:10 PM
h-d wrencher
Stellar HDF Member
Received 796 Likes on 302 Posts

The guy that did my powder coating is on his 3rd gun. You could look at my bike and tell which parts he did with which gun. Now most of them had to be redone with his newest gun he paid $600 for. Prep has a lot to do with it and media blasting wont do it. I used black jack on the heavy duty pieces that could take it and was VERY cautious on the thinner pieces with the black jack or it will warp. I had all the chrome done on my Street Glide with the exception of the tank badges. If you go cheap, it will show in your end result. Get good equipment and do enough of your buddy's stuff, you can make your money back and then some.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:31 PM
lhgdale
Outstanding HDF Member

Get good equipment and do enough of your buddy's stuff, you can make your money back and then some. (my quote button is not working)

Thanks, I don't mind spending a few extra dollars on quality stuff. I can go cheap on the oven but the gun would be a decent one.

Really my only concern is how to strip the chrome off the stock Harley pieces other than taking it to a chrome shop.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:07 PM
wideopen4life
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lhgdale
Get good equipment and do enough of your buddy's stuff, you can make your money back and then some. (my quote button is not working)

Thanks, I don't mind spending a few extra dollars on quality stuff. I can go cheap on the oven but the gun would be a decent one.

Really my only concern is how to strip the chrome off the stock Harley pieces other than taking it to a chrome shop.
I do not believe there is a way to properly strip chrome off, unless you spend big bucks on what the platers use. However I have etched and coated over many chrome pieces, sometimes it is useful as a reflective base for candies. However the only issue I have experienced is with cheap plating you run the risk of the chrome lifting and powder failing over time.

I found a used wagner epg for the gun, I skipped the hobby gun phase. Both my booth and oven are a homebrew setup (both 7ft x 4ft). I ended up with a 7.5hp 80gal. IR compressor for blasting. Powder is extremely tough to strip, hard to blast and most big box store strippers do very little. Get your self an overpak drum and at least 30gal of b17. It will pay for itself very shortly with time savings. Let me know if you need any other info. It's fun, Good Luck!