Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

Bug Stains On Denim Paint

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 08:46 AM
jerry98b
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bug Stains On Denim Paint

I came back from my first trip on my three week old 2014. I hit quite a few nasty bugs that left some orange/red guts that stained my sand camo finish. I tried everything to remove it! First tried HD denim cleaner, no go; tried Windex, no go; even tried WD-40 (LOL, why not ), no go. Even the cardinal "No, No" of rubbing compound on denim; now a shiny spot and still a stain.

At this point I didn't care and I'm ready to just get the bike repainted something else without the denim finish. I grabbed some fine grain auto paint sandpaper and began to wet sand the stain... It comes out, imagine that. And guess what, the shiny spot is gone too.

I guess this will be my only option unless you guys have something else I can try when getting stains in the future. My thoughts are if I end up ruining the paint job or not liking this denim finish I will just get the bike repainted in the future, but as for now the wet sanding did the trick.

Ok, I'm ready for comments now

Last edited by jerry98b; 08-18-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:32 AM
russ33541
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 205 Likes on 203 Posts

I found some matte finish cleaner and detailer from a company in Cal. called Chemical Guys. It works great on my bike's finish. I do agree that the Sand Camo Denim is extremely hard to keep clean and get stains out of. This stuff seems to do the job much better than anything I've found and the bugs come right off.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:38 AM
jerry98b
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by russ33541
I found some matte finish cleaner and detailer from a company in Cal. called Chemical Guys. It works great on my bike's finish. I do agree that the Sand Camo Denim is extremely hard to keep clean and get stains out of. This stuff seems to do the job much better than anything I've found and the bugs come right off.
Thanks, I'll look them up and maybe give some a try. What products of theirs do you use?

Old 09-04-2014, 10:24 AM
russ33541
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 205 Likes on 203 Posts

I use the satin matte finish auto wash soap and the matte detailer. I believe the soap is item #CWS_995 and the detailer is #SPI_995_16

Old 09-20-2014, 08:57 PM
14fxdl
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

harley sells a spray that works great

Old 09-20-2014, 09:54 PM
Lentini93
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jerry98b
I came back from my first trip on my three week old 2014. I hit quite a few nasty bugs that left some orange/red guts that stained my sand camo finish. I tried everything to remove it! First tried HD denim cleaner, no go; tried Windex, no go; even tried WD-40 (LOL, why not ), no go. Even the cardinal "No, No" of rubbing compound on denim; now a shiny spot and still a stain.

At this point I didn't care and I'm ready to just get the bike repainted something else without the denim finish. I grabbed some fine grain auto paint sandpaper and began to wet sand the stain... It comes out, imagine that. And guess what, the shiny spot is gone too.

I guess this will be my only option unless you guys have something else I can try when getting stains in the future. My thoughts are if I end up ruining the paint job or not liking this denim finish I will just get the bike repainted in the future, but as for now the wet sanding did the trick.

Ok, I'm ready for comments now
Wow. What do they feed the bugs there?! I need to wash mine... I bought an fxdb in denim black earlier this month and a thousand miles later I still haven't washed it. Should do that tomorrow but I'd rather be riding then cleaning!

Old 10-07-2014, 08:13 PM
tdgriff
Club Member

Have to agree hd bug cleaner is unreal. I used bug slide but it left a film on the bike and looked like ****. Messed up my windshield and had to get a new one. Dish soap great to. I have even used brake Cleaner

Old 10-08-2014, 01:43 AM
Lovelessjl
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It use the cheap aerosol ammonia free glass cleaner. The white can with blue letters and a pic of a blue maid on it. Works really well a with a microfiber cloth on the denim black.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:16 PM
thisisagame24
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try a clay bar if the spray cleaners don't work

Old 11-02-2014, 12:03 AM
Dave's 1stHog
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have those super bugs here in Idaho but I use nothing but Windex with Ammonia; man it works like a champ! It cleans my denim black Lo like it came off the show room floor, I'm surprised it didn't work on your bug guts?

The following users liked this post:
Bearfan (09-28-2016)

Quick Reply: Bug Stains On Denim Paint