Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

I need Lava Red touchup for 2005 Heritage

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 10:28 AM
enginesludge
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need Lava Red touchup for 2005 Heritage

Hi,

My first post regarding my first H-D, a 2005 Heritage Softtail. The color is: red with cream (lava?) on the sides. I visited and called two local dealers trying to order some red touch up (and get answers) for a 2 inch spot that lifted.

I was told the top coat was available but not the base. No one seems to know what either is. What is a top coat? Is it red or clear? Or were there two reds? What about the creame? I dont need that, but what if I did.

the part number I got last week was '98601BNZ'. The official color is listed as "Lava Red". I can only guess that is Lava sides and Red down the center. I order that PN last week and called to check today. No record of my order at H-D Leominster Mass, FWIW. And no comments at the time regarding this being a top coat and what that might mean.

I like to do myself, but there is a local body shop than can help me out. I not been to see him yet. I though be nice to show up with paint in hand and ask if he could airbrush and buff in the small spot?

As for expectations, perfection would be nice but anything even close is better than a grey primer spot front and center on the fr fender.

A lot of ???? for my first post. It appears I can attach photos. I will go take a closeup. For now a view of the bike. I dont see the image myself. I assume others can. I added another photo.

Thank you in advance.

Attached Thumbnails I need Lava Red touchup for 2005 Heritage-2005_heritage_left.jpg   I need Lava Red touchup for 2005 Heritage-paintchip.jpg  

Last edited by enginesludge; 08-19-2014 at 10:48 AM. Reason: 2nd photo
Old 08-19-2014, 12:57 PM
enginesludge
Advanced

I guess I found more with google. No thanks to H-D.

On a site called colormaniapaint.com where they use harley numbers:

Lava Red Sunglo 98609 BNZ/BOA (98609 not 98601)

Also available from ColorRite.com under thier own numbering:

Lava Red Sunglo 6323 1323

And the procedure is: Primer, Base Coat, Top Coat and Gloss Clear Coat.

What is wrong with Harley Davidson? They cannot even tell me this, let alone stock the necessary two coats?

I guess who I buy from is a coin toss as it will not be an official HD product.

Can anyone here suggest the best source for paint. Best as in easy and right.

Last edited by enginesludge; 08-19-2014 at 01:05 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:26 PM
enginesludge
Advanced

one followup question. Can someone tell me what is meant by 'ppg' and what is the 'ppg' website?

And again, if not available from H-D, what is best source for small quantites of touch up paint for H-D motorcycles?

Old 08-21-2014, 07:03 AM
enginesludge
Advanced

I ordered a kit from ColorRite. That has small bottles of paint, sand papers, tack cloth and clear coat spray.

http://www.colorrite.com/index.cfm

I feel like George Thorogood, as in: "I drink alone" or in my case "I talk alone".

Old 09-19-2014, 08:30 PM
Wydir
Cruiser

PPG is a major paint manufacturer. There is no such thing as Harley paint. It is bought from the few paint manufactures that exist in this little world, Harley just rebrands it. As for your fender situation you cannot just airbrush in a small spot like that and have a quality repair. But since it's been awhile since you posted I'm sure you have found out already. To be fixed correctly you will need to repaint the entire red color on the fender then scuff the clear on the cream and reclear the entire fender. If it was a standard base coat color you could get away with feathering out the repair area and reclearing the fender. But since it is a tricoat color a few extra steps are involved. I have never used the color rite paint so I have no useful information on its use.

Old 09-20-2014, 08:55 PM
14fxdl
Advanced

if you want good color and clear.id get some sikkens or matrix.