Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Major clutch issue. Please step in.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 09:14 PM
WhiteNoise
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Major clutch issue. Please step in.

Well I have a serious issue at the moment. Recently my clutch lever was getting a bit slack. So I did a quick cable adjust and everything was fine for about a week and then it started getting slack again. I was coming back from a 200 mile trip when I started to have to pull the clutch lever all the way in to the grip to get the clutch to engage. I knew this couldn't be good so when I got home I waited till the next day and while the bike was cold I loosened up the cable then removed the primary derby cover, did the clutch adjustment there, drained the fluid and put a fresh quart in. Re-tightened the cable and it seemed fine. I've done this adjustment many times and have never run into any issues before.

Today I rode to work and the clutch was working great but 3/4 of the way home (in my 96 mile round trip) I noticed my clutch lever getting slack again. By the time I got home the lever was not doing much of anything.

I adjusted the cable again and took it for a short ride. Everything was working good but 15 minutes into my ride the clutch lever started going slack yet again. Holding the lever right up against the grip and the clutch is barely engaging.

So now I'm a little confused. Could this be a cable that is just worn out and continuing to stretch? Or could this be a more serious issue with the clutch assembly itself?

I pride myself on doing nearly all the work on my bike myself but I have no experience with this and I hope someone can point me in the right direction. As it is I cannot ride my bike till this is resolved.

Thanks in advance.

2008 FXSTC

Old 09-30-2014, 04:55 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Pop the derby cover off, check the torque on the bolts that hold the pressure plate (use a torque wrench).

Remove the adjuster plate and check the torque of the hub retaining nut (it is left hand thread).

Remove the clutch actuator cover from the right side of the transmission, inspect the throwout bearing and the ball and ramp mechanism.

Replace the cable.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:28 AM
WhiteNoise
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

thanks for the reply.