Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Secret Hydraulic Clutch Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 06:14 PM
grasmo
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Secret Hydraulic Clutch Adjustment

I have been chasing a problem that seemed the only solution would be an adjustment. My bike has had a "Goofy" clutch recently.It would release, away from the grip, 75%.....sometimes and other times it would release 100%....Replaced the master and slave internals....NOPE did not fix it.After futsing around with it I kept noticing the throw out bearing was attached to the clutch pushrod shaft with a snap ring on one side and a ridge that was part of the shaft , on the other side........ Follow me so far??? Ok.....the bearing would slide .020 between the snap ring and the ridge......the ridge supports the inner race and apparently had worn a good bit. I believe the shaft would bind on occasion as it would slide in and out of the bearing , the .020 and that would equate to a larger distance at the lever. I used a copper washer and meticulously sanded it down to take up all of the tolerance....and BAM no more Goofy Clutch. Now I know this is a temporary Fix that was only performed to verify that this was the issue. no where in my service manual does it give any info on service specs for the clutch shaft. But.....If you have an issue similar to mine check the shaft to bearing clearance and see if your shaft is sliding through the inner race of the bearing....When the shaft ***** the least little bit it will bind inside the inner race bore and sometimes it will slide through it with no resistance.

Old 10-24-2014, 04:25 AM
grasmo
Advanced

Update... I knew the fix was gonna be short lived.....well I ordered and installed a new clutchrod and throwout bearing the new rod had the same amount of slop as the old one.....no-go......problem is back and progressively getting worse. While sitting still , my bike goes into gear easily. While moving, you can feel that you are only getting "Half a Clutch" when you pull it in...... the clutch plates are not separating....and each time they are separating less and less WTH??? new Master cylinder kit and Slave Cylinder kit, steels and frictions , Amsoil ATF.......Sorry if I misled anyone with my previous post.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:22 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

What hydraulic clutch system are you using?

Old 10-24-2014, 06:03 PM
grasmo
Advanced

Stock HD on a CVO Dyna.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:09 PM
grasmo
Advanced

I have doubts of it being a master cylinder problem because it feels perfect while the bike is not rolling.....cannot figure out how the tranny input shaft could affect the the clutch engagement points......I could not detect any axial deflection on the hub or basket with the plates in or out....

Old 10-28-2014, 08:41 PM
grasmo
Advanced

Trying a new clutch hub......to me.....it looked like the thrust washer that the left handed hub nut tightens against had a small amount of axial play......tech said it was normal.....I made the decision to buy a new hub and bearing.....I do not like things that dont look right and my **** is stumped....the knowledge that could be gained from this is worth a lot to me....hub will be here tomorrow

Old 10-29-2014, 07:40 AM
Banned

Axial thrust can make a big difference, HD retains their door bearings with snap rings which are insufficient in keeping the door bearings in place. When the mainshaft moves so does the clutch. Put the bike in third gear, pull the clutch about half way in and you will be able to feel the shaft moving as the handle moves in and out. Here is our fix for the problem.

http://bakerdrivetrain.com/street-door

Old 10-29-2014, 07:16 PM
grasmo
Advanced

wow that's nice...My clutch hub did not arrive today even though I paid for next day air on Monday and the order was placed Tuesday a.m. and it was supposed to be here This a.m. before 10:00 a.m. dealer told me that there next day stuff did not mnake it???? Really??? where's the tracking # right??? probably forgot to order it...said they will refund me the shipping and it would be here tomorrow a.m.//////no big deal....I want the baker attitude adjuster and might get the trap door....I am not sure if I need to pull the front drive sprocket in order to torque the locking nuts on the right side door or not...now would be the time to do it though......I love bearings....I run some pricy ones in my mowers.....6205rs ABEC 3.......last a long ,long , long time compared to ABEC 1 bearings.....

Old 10-30-2014, 09:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by grasmo
wow that's nice...My clutch hub did not arrive today even though I paid for next day air on Monday and the order was placed Tuesday a.m. and it was supposed to be here This a.m. before 10:00 a.m. dealer told me that there next day stuff did not mnake it???? Really??? where's the tracking # right??? probably forgot to order it...said they will refund me the shipping and it would be here tomorrow a.m.//////no big deal....I want the baker attitude adjuster and might get the trap door....I am not sure if I need to pull the front drive sprocket in order to torque the locking nuts on the right side door or not...now would be the time to do it though......I love bearings....I run some pricy ones in my mowers.....6205rs ABEC 3.......last a long ,long , long time compared to ABEC 1 bearings.....
There is a pulley locking tool you can use to tighten the bearing door nuts.