Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Inner Primary Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 11:39 AM
Sparkee...
Road Master
Received 226 Likes on 142 Posts

Is this still an issue with newer bikes?

I was just taking to the mechanic at the dealer who recommended I install a Baker chain adjuster on my 2013 Electra Glide Classic as well. Using his explanation and the limited research I have done so far it does sound like a good winter project.

Old 10-25-2014, 01:31 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by BMattingly51
With my wife battling cancer I've not had a lot of time to ride. Don't want your sympathy - Was hoping to find if others had solutions to the problem
Sorry you had to meet the Forum bully so fast, hope it will not keep you away!

Hope your wife wins the battle!

Old 10-26-2014, 10:46 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,497 Likes on 4,612 Posts

With my wife battling cancer I've not had a lot of time to ride. Don't want your sympathy - Was hoping to find if others had solutions to the problem
Let`s get one thing straight here, I was unsympathetic to your situation with the motor company, in the fact that they refused to honor your expired warranty.

I was not attacking your personal situation, which I had absolutely no knowledge of.

Trying to insinuate anything else, as evidenced by your reference to you personal situation was not called for.

Let`s start over...

I think the best solution is to switch to a manual adjuster for the primary chain, and instead of spending 500 bucks for labor, just do the job yourself.

We can talk you through it.

Cheers.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 10-26-2014 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:46 AM
BMattingly51
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sparkee...
Is this still an issue with newer bikes?

I was just taking to the mechanic at the dealer who recommended I install a Baker chain adjuster on my 2013 Electra Glide Classic as well. Using his explanation and the limited research I have done so far it does sound like a good winter project.
From everything I've read the problem was fixed in 2011 models.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:47 AM
BMattingly51
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HD Pilot
Sorry you had to meet the Forum bully so fast, hope it will not keep you away!

Hope your wife wins the battle!

Thanks - been a rough road but she's a fighter and is doing well

Old 10-28-2014, 08:06 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

From everything I've read the problem was fixed in 2011 models.
Nothing changed in 2011 as far as the inner primary bearing and chain adjuster are concerned. Same bearing, same adjuster. That might have been one of the years they tried a different compensator but they have tried 4 different ones since 06.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:50 AM
Matt Lemus
Stage II

It seems I'm having the same issue on my 09 FXDB. I have about 9000 miles on it and about a week ago I started hearing the whining noise coming from the clutch area within the primary. The noise seemed to get louder when the bike was at operating temperature and when I was in a higher RPM. Also, shifting from N into 1st was rough, it seemed to shift harder than before I started hearing the noise.

I pulled the out primary off and removed the compensating sprocket and clutch hub assembly. Then pulled off the inner primary to inspect the bearing and race. The bearing rollers seem the have signs of some heat (center of bearing rollers had a slight brown tint). The inner race too showed some brown discoloration in the middle.

As I read through some of the posts here, it seems the primary chain being too tight could be the culprit. Interestingly, when I was taking the compensating sprocket and clutch hub assembly off, I thought the chain was pretty tight because I couldn't get a zip-tie around the chain tensioner shoe. It didn't occur to me at the time that that was the problem. Now I see it probably was...

Another observation I have is that I noticed the clutch hub wobbles a bit if the bike is in natural and I spin the hub (with clutch plates out). The starter sproket has a slight wobble about 1/4 in. I've read on a few fourms that it is pretty common and I shouldn't worry about it.

Anyone here have some suggestions or recommendations as to what bearing I should replace the IPB with? Also, what is said about that wobble? I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the Baker chain tensioner though...

Matt Lemus
Sgt USMC
2009 Harley FXDB

Old 11-10-2014, 12:37 PM
Matt Lemus
Stage II

Hummm.... Well Just found out that the Baker IPB doesn't fit the 09 Dyna. They recommend that the chain tensioner be replaced and run the OEM bearing. Maybe I'll look into the All ***** Bearing kit...

Old 11-11-2014, 07:36 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Lemus
Hummm.... Well Just found out that the Baker IPB doesn't fit the 09 Dyna. They recommend that the chain tensioner be replaced and run the OEM bearing. Maybe I'll look into the All ***** Bearing kit...
Yea they changed the diameter of the mainshaft in 08 so our high torque bearing kit will no longer work. As for the clutch wobble, that is normal, the baskets are cast and are never concentric. That is why as the chain cycles you have tight spots and loose spots.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:12 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Wanna fix the clutch wobble. Buy a Bandit or Evo clutch.