Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Clutch Quandry

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 08:42 AM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Clutch Quandry

Ive searched a few threads and didn't find an answer to my problem I like. Well not much of a problem but here it is. Had my Primary open the other day to do some other work. Knowing it would be open I had picked up the SE Heavy Duty Clutch Spring Part# 37951-98, Put it in and WOW that sucker hooks up, I like it a lot, (Because I had noticed for a while some slippage with the stock spring. Don't know if it's just wearing out or what. But in 5th 6th gear getting on it would slip,Tried to adjust it out a few times with no luck.) However my fingers got a bit sore/stiff after test riding the SE about an hour.So I looked at some easy pull options and it seemed like it's a no win solution. First the easy pull ramp type assembly seems to use too much cable, After adjusting the SE I needed every bit to fully disengage and have 1/16 at the end.I may try a new cable but don't see how that will help,I have plenty of adjustment left and a shorter cable still only pulls as much as the lever will travel. Then there's the Clutchwiz,But it works by moving the pressure points in to the tips of the spring and you loose the pressure you've gained by going to the heaver spring,No win. Then there might be levers that are somehow able to help but I didn't see much about them. So to make a short story longer, I put the stock spring back in (Yeah not happy) Just like it was before and now feels weak compared to the Heavy Duty. So today (yep you guessed it) The Heavy Duty is going back in. I'll just have to get used to it and build up my finger grip unless there is any other options out there I havn't found. any comments/suggestions welcome.

Last edited by Smokey Stover; 10-23-2014 at 02:29 PM. Reason: spellin
Old 10-23-2014, 09:06 AM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

A couple options.

The SE Spring you installed (37951-98) is the heaviest Harley offers. I think it's rated at 175KGF.

The Police Spring is 165KGF (37807-03) This is the one I'm using.

The stock spring you removed was probably 135KGF (Yellow dot on spring).

Yet another option is (37871-98A) 145KGF This is the spring that Harley is using for the new bikes with the High Output 103's.

IMO, unless you've done tons of engine work, the Police Spring at 165KGF is a good compromise. It locks up well, without killing your hand.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:53 PM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior

Thanks for helping clear that up Talldog
This was the only spring in the new catalog. It's labled as Heavy Duty Spring for Stock Clutch. 35% greater lever effort , Will work with builds up to153 TQ !!! OMG I must have missed that LOL. Anyway it's too late I'm not opening the primary again for at least 3500 to 5k miles. I'll have a grip like a gorilla and be able to arm wrestle guys twice my size.(Leftie only) Or seriously consider the Clutchwiz now.

Oh the stock spring was black with a blue dot'And this SE is brass colored with no dot.

Last edited by Smokey Stover; 10-23-2014 at 02:34 PM. Reason: info
Old 10-24-2014, 02:59 AM
Kiwirob
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

You can try the Muller power clutch. It replaces the ramps & uses the stock cable with no problems. I've used one for a few years with the SE spring, & now with the SE race clutch. It's a bit pricey, but does the job. Several dealers sell it in the US, Dennis Kirk & JP cycles to name a couple. - Rob

http://www.wwag.com/cgi-bin/WebObjec...sh&page=!51875

Old 10-24-2014, 11:16 PM
Kiwirob
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Another option is the Energy One or Barnett extra plate kit. Use either the spring that comes with the kit, which is similar to the 37807-03 I think, or put your stock spring back in. Some guys have clutch drag problems with the extra plate kit, but I've haven't had any problems with it. - Rob

Old 11-24-2014, 11:52 AM
ShamrockBrett
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AIM has 3 different Variable Pressure plate sizes, they come with weights that open up with higher RPMs giving you more clamping force,a lighter clutch lever pull in, and on 1998 to present an easy install of just removing the derby cover, their website is: http://aim-tamachi.com

Old 11-24-2014, 12:25 PM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Angry

Originally Posted by ShamrockBrett
AIM has 3 different Variable Pressure plate sizes, they come with weights that open up with higher RPMs giving you more clamping force,a lighter clutch lever pull in, and on 1998 to present an easy install of just removing the derby cover, their website is: http://aim-tamachi.com

Thanks all for the suggestions, I have looked at the AIM, HD and Fuel Moto also have a version, Only difference seems to be color, Red/Orange/Green.
I May get one of them someday but for now I'm already used to the way it feels and it seems normal now, I also added a new Diamondback cable just to be sure the old stock one wasn't being stressed by the extra pull/weight. I like the way it feels and no slipping. So doing nothing else at this point is my best cost effective solution.

Old 11-26-2014, 06:01 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Smokey Stover
Thanks all for the suggestions, I have looked at the AIM, HD and Fuel Moto also have a version, Only difference seems to be color, Red/Orange/Green.
I May get one of them someday but for now I'm already used to the way it feels and it seems normal now, I also added a new Diamondback cable just to be sure the old stock one wasn't being stressed by the extra pull/weight. I like the way it feels and no slipping. So doing nothing else at this point is my best cost effective solution.
I installed a beefier clutch spring on my Evo and had the same problems, so fitted a Clutchlite device. That made adjustment very marginal, but I also bought a Diamondback cable. It is so much smoother than the old one I removed the Clutchlite!

Old 11-26-2014, 09:14 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,104 Likes on 1,339 Posts

Originally Posted by Smokey Stover

AIM builds the variable lockup for Fuel Moto, however we spec the weight set in our units. We tested various components to find which weight/spring setup holds best with the combinations and engine packages and work with.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com