Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

To eliminate or not eliminate... compensator...

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 08:08 AM
LoveHate
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default To eliminate or not eliminate... compensator...

Hello.
After about 40K miles, I begin to have the usual problems associated with wear on some parts.

According to the mechanics of the local dealer, I have a problem with the compensator... this is probably true... strange noises from the primary and pulled on low speed.

View of mechanics is that it is better to replace with SE Compensator, but I'm not convinced. Price is too high and the reviews that I read were not very positive.

The question is, is it a good idea to eliminate fully the compensator?

These are the options:

http://vulcanworks.net/store_4/produ...5&cat=0&page=1

http://www.beltdrives.com/chcomp.html

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:32 AM
gusotto
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

If you go Harley, the SE Compensator is your only choice.
It takes some of the torque from the engines.
Worked ok in the earlier engines but 96 and up engines may have a noise problem and it can eventually take out the starter.

My '07 has been replaced once with the SE model. Now there is a new and "improved" SE compensator.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:27 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

I have the new SE Comp and it is improved over the previous model w/ needle bearings, angles fins on the comp to direct the flow of oil inside and they also provide a plastic tray that gets glued to the outer primary to more direct the oil.

Oiling was the main issue with the older model....the SE Comp needs synthetic primary fluid, which is fine and dandy with the stock clutch, but problem with anything else cause all others call for ATF (trans fluid) that f&$ks up the comp.

Some clutchs have had great results with using Harley's formula + and B&M trick shift synthetic along with the SE Comp.

LONG story short we all have one choice as of now to use the SE Comp. The others you have mentioned are crap and will only cause you a headach down the line, promise you that!

Old 11-03-2014, 09:43 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member

As far as the price the competition will probably be around the same....hopefully better.

Dark Horse has been in the works on an aswesome setup, so once they perfect it will be released (hopefully sometime next year).

Baker I have heard is working on one too.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:00 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

After watching this subject for years ill wait for a comp that solves the known issues. Too much coin in my motor to take a chance.

Old 11-07-2014, 12:04 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,792 Likes on 3,303 Posts
Default gear wear

If the gear is worn pretty good (sharp teeth) there is a good chance at 40k the primary drive itself might need replacing. Imho consider a belt drive set up. Less maintenance and less power loss to the rear wheel. I did it and it really does make a performance difference.

Old 11-07-2014, 12:17 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
If the gear is worn pretty good (sharp teeth) there is a good chance at 40k the primary drive itself might need replacing. Imho consider a belt drive set up. Less maintenance and less power loss to the rear wheel. I did it and it really does make a performance difference.
Yah belt drive is good idea but huge coin!

Old 11-07-2014, 02:56 PM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
So you vote to eliminate the comp?

Old 11-18-2014, 03:54 AM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LoveHate
Hello.
After about 40K miles, I begin to have the usual problems associated with wear on some parts.

According to the mechanics of the local dealer, I have a problem with the compensator... this is probably true... strange noises from the primary and pulled on low speed.

View of mechanics is that it is better to replace with SE Compensator, but I'm not convinced. Price is too high and the reviews that I read were not very positive.

The question is, is it a good idea to eliminate fully the compensator?

These are the options:

http://vulcanworks.net/store_4/produ...5&cat=0&page=1

http://www.beltdrives.com/chcomp.html

Thank you in advance for your advice.

the bdl springless comp sprocket is NOT the answer. it caused a severe vib in my 07 fb. nice concept on function, but it locks in on accel and won't release/compensate on a cruise unless you do a sharp deceleration and that is hit or miss if it works. I took mine out and now its in the scrap bin.

don't waste your money on aftermarket fixes at this time. the only fix right now is the now current upgrade SE comp package with oil tray to prevent premature hub wear.

with the amount of issues with comps in 07 up 6spd bikes i'm surprised there's not a class action lawsuit to make hd fix their screw up on their dime.

The following users liked this post:
MikieT (09-26-2021)
Old 11-18-2014, 11:36 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,792 Likes on 3,303 Posts
Default no comp

Yeah, no comp, just means putting up with more noise. No big deal for me...
Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
So you vote to eliminate the comp?