Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Sledge hammer vs. Blowtorch?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 05:15 PM
grasmo
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sledge hammer vs. Blowtorch?

After removing and replacing all bearings and seals in my 07 dyna 6 speed....tranny binds up immediately after torquing trap door bearings to the main and countershafts....45 ft.lbs. I am torqing them after engaging 2 dogrings and inserting it into the tranny housing.After torquing to the correct specs , I remove them and install the shift drum and shafts and forks.....assembly binds up...I can take the assembly and insert it to the tranny case .....loosen the trapdoof nylock nuts and it will shift perfectly as well as spin freely....tighten them back up and bam...binds up again...I am missing something.....just tired of it....

Old 11-12-2014, 07:29 AM
grasmo
Advanced

i read a similar thread over on HTT...I may have allowed one of the "Segment to shift out of place....the half circle clips that hold the gear in place on the shaft....a collar slides over it and that probably shifted during installation.....Oh well....Guess I'm gonna blow torch it.....nobody suggested the Sledgehammer.....

Old 11-12-2014, 07:37 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Segment rings will do that, using some bearing grease during installation will help keep them in place. If you do choose the sledge hammer just remember to save whats left because we will give you 15% off towards one of these with the trade in of your old gear set. Sledge hammered or not.

http://bakerdrivetrain.com/dd7

Old 11-12-2014, 06:12 PM
grasmo
Advanced

Yes indeed , it was one of the "Segments"....it had slipped out and with my eyes....I could not see it....."Rookie" mistake.....Will not happen again!!! Bike rides and shifts perfectly....hooray!!! sledge hammer is pissed.