Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

darkhorse compensator

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 07:50 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
Evolution is already making a straight sprocket.

Yes, they have for some time now.
We carry those on the shelf here.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:39 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

The S/E comp is still a band aid fix. A different design that is marginally better does not fix a known issue. I just went through this whole thing and the Baker was not available yet thus I had to go a different route.

I need my bike to get to work so waiting was not an option. the timing on this is uncanny. I opted for the 2014 S/E Comp (My bike is a 13 and had the 2013 S/E comp) and the compensaver from GMR Performance.
http://www.compensaver.com/

This is a great product that Harley ripped off with the 2014 Comp. I only avhe about 2500 miles since this has gone on but thus far all is quiet. A little history on my bike. 19K was the first comp clunk. Didn't do it often until I hit about 29k miles and then it started to get real bad. Denied warranty by Harley I was forced to purchase the 2014 comp and a compensaver.
http://www.compensaver.com/
It is now quieter than it has ever been. Thus far I am quite happy with my "solution".

One would hope that we would need need a solution one a year old motorcycle but it is what it is. Talked to Mark about his comp but I could not wait for it to be ready. Hats off to Steve at GMR for getting way ahead on this stuff as well.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:41 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
Scott
============================

Hi Scott,i am pretty new to HD's and am aware of the issues they have with the compensators and see your talking about a single sprocket design to replace the HD compensator and was wondering why they/HD don't go with that setup?

Is the reason for the compensator to soak up vibration /trq to protect the transmisson because just using the single solid sprocket in place of the compensator cant do that?

But in general whats the good & bad of using a single sprocket by itself vs a compensator on my bike ?

I ask that because i have an 09 glide i think the comp is starting to go bad on because it not only makes a loud clunk/bang sound at start up and when engaging the clutch taking off in 1st gear the bike kinda lurches bit as the clutch is engaging too .

So with that in mind from what i understand they are signs of a bad comp and when investigating that i ran into info on the single sprocket replacement for the original compensator you seem to be referring to and was wondering how that would work out (or not!) on my 09 FLHTCU with TW-96?

Scott

Old 03-18-2015, 09:09 AM
FLHProadkill
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man.... this thread got quiet. I was waiting for the Baker "solution" but I guess it's dead. Baker still list it as... pre-order.

WTF

Old 03-18-2015, 09:28 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Originally Posted by FLHProadkill
Man.... this thread got quiet. I was waiting for the Baker "solution" but I guess it's dead. Baker still list it as... pre-order.

WTF
Alive and kicking should start shipping next month.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:28 PM
iDodgimus
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

subscribed - my indie suggest a compensator upgrade last summer, glad i waited!

Old 03-19-2015, 10:54 AM
wscott
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
Scott
=======================

Scott(From HillsideCycle) ,Mark (From Baker Drivetrain) & others here in the HD forum here,whats the real deal on running the straight sprocket in place of a std type design comp because that would seem to be a viable way to get rid of the comp issues in general as long as it doesnt actually hurt and or damage the motor/trans/clutch or anything?

So is it that the straight sprocket can cause driveability issues and or maybe reduce the srv'c life of the trans,clutch,or even the motor?

And would that make a difference if were talking a stock 96 or stock 103 with straight sprocket being ok and then those same motors modded with better heads,more comp,perf cams so motors putting out significantly more hp & trq & ridden more aggressive that would maybe be more of an issue with a straight sprocket?

I am thinking maybe the down side to running a straight sprocket vs std design comp is there may be more vibration at times and or shock transmitted from the motor to trans/clutch dirvetrain in general esp when your on it hard @ WOT going thru the gears that could damage something where it wouldn't if you were running a std type comp in same motor setup & cond ?

Whats are your opinons & or exp with running a straight type sprocket that you would think would last a lot longer in place of a more stock type design comp?

Scott

Last edited by wscott; 03-19-2015 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:29 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Waiting on the Baker. Got it on order. I'll post when i Get it and install it.

Old 03-20-2015, 07:50 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Originally Posted by wscott
=======================

Scott(From HillsideCycle) ,Mark (From Baker Drivetrain) & others here in the HD forum here,whats the real deal on running the straight sprocket in place of a std type design comp because that would seem to be a viable way to get rid of the comp issues in general as long as it doesnt actually hurt and or damage the motor/trans/clutch or anything?

So is it that the straight sprocket can cause driveability issues and or maybe reduce the srv'c life of the trans,clutch,or even the motor?

And would that make a difference if were talking a stock 96 or stock 103 with straight sprocket being ok and then those same motors modded with better heads,more comp,perf cams so motors putting out significantly more hp & trq & ridden more aggressive that would maybe be more of an issue with a straight sprocket?

I am thinking maybe the down side to running a straight sprocket vs std design comp is there may be more vibration at times and or shock transmitted from the motor to trans/clutch dirvetrain in general esp when your on it hard @ WOT going thru the gears that could damage something where it wouldn't if you were running a std type comp in same motor setup & cond ?

Whats are your opinons & or exp with running a straight type sprocket that you would think would last a lot longer in place of a more stock type design comp?

Scott
The compensator is a comfort device as far as I'm concerned, a straight sprocket is more direct response on/off the throttle. Chain tensioner pads seem to wear quicker with a straight sprocket but if everything is straight and true(crank, trans main shaft,chain alignment) then these should not wear the powertrain any faster then a compensator. Now if you have a crank with excessive runout ( I've seen and heard of some bad ones on the late models) then a straight sprocket can cause some premature wear because there is no "forgiveness" like with a compensator.

Old 03-20-2015, 09:02 AM
wscott
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
The compensator is a comfort device as far as I'm concerned, a straight sprocket is more direct response on/off the throttle. Chain tensioner pads seem to wear quicker with a straight sprocket but if everything is straight and true(crank, trans main shaft,chain alignment) then these should not wear the powertrain any faster then a compensator. Now if you have a crank with excessive runout ( I've seen and heard of some bad ones on the late models) then a straight sprocket can cause some premature wear because there is no "forgiveness" like with a compensator.
=======================================

Hi Mark,thanks a lot for taking the time to explain what diff is between the straight sprocket vs compensator and the pros / cons of running the straight sprocket in general.

Scott

Quick Reply: darkhorse compensator