Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

My Barnett experience

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 05:44 PM
SleepyBagger
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Barnett experience

When my stocker clutch gave out at 42K my local independent Harley mechanic sold me on a Barnett carbon fiber clutch. IDK if it was related but I soon grenaded my primary as a result of breaking the primary chain during a hole shot, by the time I got over 3 lanes and put her on the kickstand everything inside was bad.

I called Barnett they paid the shipping and went through the unit, replaced just about everything but the carrier. I had to buy a new HD clutch unit just for the basket along with a total of 1200.00 in parts. I decided to install the new parts myself this time and had no problem for 10k miles other than the annoying "walk" or "slip" depending on the springs I used, there was no happy medium, just slip 2 up or under throttle or walk at stops and finding neutral meant killing the motor every time.

I had the entire HD stocker and set out to eliminate that damn walking every time I stopped (long red lights holding the brake had long gotten old) and was talked into a SE diaphragm in which I mocked until the bike was pulling 1st and seconds, of course finding N was the icing on the cake.

Just thought I'd share my expensive lesson, for what its worth I'd more then likely saved a lot BS joining this Forum a long time ago, thus getting answers prior to shelling out the green.

BTW Barnett was very good to me and that clutch worked great for riding like I stole it, but I am getting too old for that.

Old 12-06-2014, 08:37 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

Was it just the Barnett friction discs that you replaced?

When the mess was inspected was the stock clutch basket messed up, I would assume that was the culprite of the entire primary disaster. When the stock basket goes it can cause hell.....I doubt it was anything else.