Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

BDL open belt drive, (sometimes) leaking at sprocket shaft

Old 02-18-2015, 02:28 PM
Sauraus
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow BDL open belt drive, (sometimes) leaking at sprocket shaft

2 months ago I had a BDL open belt drive installed on my 2013 FLHX and the first time round I barely rode 50miles before having the entire left side of the bike covered with an oil spray, took it back to the workshop and they replaced the seal on the sprocket shaft.

This past weekend I did a 500mile trip and did not have any oil whatsoever on the first leg of 140miles, the next day I only did a 40mile trip and ended up with the left side sprayed with oil again. I wiped down the bike and the following 2 days I did two 150mile trips and didn't get any oil spray.

What is going on here? Anyone have a permanent solution to the sprocket shaft oil leak?

Old 02-18-2015, 07:35 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,791 Likes on 3,302 Posts
Default Belt tension

Make sure your belt is not too tight also I know most say to make sure the seal is in properly. I installed mine with the spring to the inside and have never had a leak. I was told it should be the other way around but with all the crankshaft and overhead cams that I've worked on the spring side always went inside.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:42 PM
Sauraus
Advanced

How would I check the tension on the belt?

Old 02-19-2015, 09:15 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 651 Posts

Has nothing to do with the belt tension. One of your seals is the problem. Figure out which one something is leaking. The belt drive is dry and besides nothing on your bike before fed the primary oil. It was a closed primary not like an old shovel. Post up pictures of the details and where it is leaking from. And are you sure it is leaking FROM the primary

Old 02-19-2015, 10:13 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,791 Likes on 3,302 Posts
Default Is your rotor and stator wet with oil?

Is so check your belt tension, They have specifications for belt flex, infact they also give the distance in inches from crank to trans center lines. and yes a tight belt can cause the crank seal to leak. You need to remember that BDL uses lightweight aluminum pulleys and they expand as they heat up increasing the Lateral load on the crank. there should be approximately 1/2" flex in your drive belt total up and down (with force). Check BDL's web site. Also remember what I said about the seal...(spring in towards the case)

Old 02-20-2015, 10:29 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Would be nice to know if this is engine oil or transmission fluid, it would certainly cut down on the possible solutions.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:49 AM
ADRENALINE RUSH
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

subscribed for more deatils... just got my 2-3/4" BDL open belt drive last week... planing on installing it with in the next few weeks, i hope i don't have any these issues you and some others have had

Old 02-21-2015, 07:48 PM
FurryOne
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Sauraus
What is going on here? Anyone have a permanent solution to the sprocket shaft oil leak?
It sure sounds like your stator seal is leaking. Did whoever did the install put a new stator seal in and reverse it as recommended? I thought it didn't matter and mine leaked, though nothing like you mention (and mine had a cut in the seal right from HD). I installed a new seal, reversed, and my problem was gone.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:21 PM
Sauraus
Advanced

The oil leaking from the sprocket shaft appears to have reduced in volume with time, but I am still going to replace the seal next time with one of these: http://innovativesealingsolutions.co...s.html#twincam

The 12068 seal has a lip with spring on both sides and I hope that will do the trick.

Old 11-15-2021, 05:51 AM
hysteel15
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Seal

Originally Posted by Sauraus
2 months ago I had a BDL open belt drive installed on my 2013 FLHX and the first time round I barely rode 50miles before having the entire left side of the bike covered with an oil spray, took it back to the workshop and they replaced the seal on the sprocket shaft.

This past weekend I did a 500mile trip and did not have any oil whatsoever on the first leg of 140miles, the next day I only did a 40mile trip and ended up with the left side sprayed with oil again. I wiped down the bike and the following 2 days I did two 150mile trips and didn't get any oil spray.

well I know this is old post but for those searching for answer, use a double lip crank seal