Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Motor and trans alignment

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 09:36 PM
97 dyna lowrider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Motor and trans alignment

I have a 97 dyna lowrider. I was wondering if you can algin the motor and trans on the kick stand. Or does the bike have to be off the ground

Old 03-10-2015, 07:42 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I no longer have a Dyna or the factory service manual, but my natural instinct is to say that the bike will need to be upright. Leaning on its stand will tend to turn the front wheel and also load the rubber mountings from one side.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:50 AM
97 dyna lowrider
Tourer

That's what I figured.last night I took everything apart with the bike off the ground on a lift.after loosening the engine and transmission I started to unbolt the primary and the whole trans popped up

Old 03-10-2015, 10:58 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

Grahams right, it needs to be upright. Basically the rear mount on the tranny is the swingarm pivot point and where it attaches to the frame. The motor and trans are aligned to keep the front and rear whell track aligned. You have an adjustment at the top to rotate the ASM right to left for verticle alignment. You have a turnbuckle up front to align the track. Get a manual..... The way I check/adjust track is as follows

Get it upright
Tie a string line to something heavy, say a jack stand
Take the other end of the string line around the back tire as high as you can go
and around the other side back to the front
Tie it to a jack stand
Adjust stands to bring string as high as you can up the front wheel without touching a brake rotor, fender or axle
Adjust the back string as high as you can on the rear wheel with no interference
Adjust 1 stand at a time to bring string line to just touch front of rear tire
repeat for other side
Now, is your front tire centered in between the strings?

Old 03-10-2015, 01:05 PM
97 dyna lowrider
Tourer

Thanks. I do have a Service manual but sometimes it's like reading Chinese to me
I Kinda posted this half hazardously due to my situation.let me explain. I just converted my bike to an enclosed primary belt drive and I'm having an issue with the belt walking in on the pulley which rubs the inner primary.so I'm trying to get the pulleys to line up parallel so the belt doesn't walk in. And yes this is my first Harley. I have had it for 3 years now. And thats not my bike on the lift. It's my uncle's who knows nothing about Harley's. I have done a lot of the work myself.I bought the bike with the paint and the chopped fender and all the After market stuff on it. I have completely rebuilt the whole front end which was built wrong. I've rebuilt the whole backend all new bearings and shims and everything else because they were all left out.I had to take it to a shop to get the motor and trans aligned because I was not able to do it the first time I tried. Now that I have put the belt drive on. I have to realign the motor and trans again because I removed the primary.I would like to learn how to do it myself instead of having to pay somebody

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/...1E572EB1FC.png

Last edited by 97 dyna lowrider; 03-28-2015 at 07:47 AM.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:08 PM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member

So I assume your belt is rubbing the inner primary back near the clutch hub? Your inner primary case usually aligns the transmission and motor to make the shafts parallel. What you are talking about is pulley alignment and spacing during pulley assembly. I have never owned or installed a belt primary, maybe you should call the supplier.

Old 03-10-2015, 05:53 PM
97 dyna lowrider
Tourer

I've tried everything I called my shop that I deal with and I'm going to bring it to him next week he said he charged me no more than two hours to go through the whole thing

Old 03-10-2015, 07:48 PM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member

if you take a straight edge and lay it across the front sprocket....does it line up with the rear clutch hub?

Or is it maybe a little inboard and driving the belt in on the clutch hub and rubbing?

If yes, maybe you need a shim or spacer behind the front sprocket to space it out for proper alignment on the rear hub

If you pull the front out the rear will try to follow.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:19 PM
97 dyna lowrider
Tourer

Sorry for the long response what are your thoughts people???

And a Thank you to Scrmnvtwins you turned a light bulb on in my head.

Well after the shop trying to get me to rebuild my motor. By telling me my crankshaft is wobbling. And this is causing the belt to walk in on the primary .The mechanic let it slip. I was Having an issue with the crankshaft and transhaft not being parallel to one another. He said when he loosen the inner primary the motor poped. there was a small gap between the back of the motor and the inner primary. (Awkward pause and death stare by the boss). The kid not realizing it. And the boss changing the subject to how much should we charge him. Blurts out Most likely the shafts were pushed out from each other (outboard). This would cause the pulleys outer edges to be pushed out from each other (outboard). Causing the belt to have more tension on it towards the outer edge of the pulleys. This in turn would naturally push the belt towards the inside edges of the pulleys were there would be less tension on the belt. Causing it to rub on the inside of the primary. All the while the boss talking over him about rebuilding the motor. The kid, then says you could shim the motor. Between the primary, and the engine case pulling the shafts into one another (inboard). So at this point I've heard enough,and we rap things up its all good. I tell them I'll pick the bike up on Saturday and I'll decide from there . Leaving it at that. This was Tuesday. So I take my new found info to my mechanic buddie and others a like. And we come to one conclusion. The inner primary is warped. Which is why the motor poped when he loosened it and there was a gap. This would cause a miss alignment of the motor and trans when bolted up. In turn causing the crankshaft and transhaft to not be parallel to each other. Weather in board or out board. Obviously in my case out board from each other. Other wise the belt would not rub on the inside of the inner primary behind the clutch pulley. Nor would there have been a gap between the back of the motor and the inner primary when he loosened it. I'm picking the bike up tomorrow so I'm going to shim it and will see

Last edited by 97 dyna lowrider; 03-28-2015 at 08:05 AM.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:59 PM
97 dyna lowrider
Tourer

Wow no replies !!
Well after putting it together and taking it apart. shimming and reshimming the belt finally walks out. Riding just off the outer edge of the crank and trans pulley. A little info a little brains and $3.00 worth of washers. Saves me $3,000

The following users liked this post:
QueenBritt (09-01-2020)