Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Transmission Identification.??

Old 03-27-2015, 08:30 AM
rickymcmountain
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Identification.??

Hi all....

I am a new member,looking for a little help in trying to identify what type of tranny I have in my new bike....I found a leak in the bottom of it the other day after it was driven.I found a crack in the case and jb weld was applied ..has not been driven since.Went to a bike shop with pics of it I took of it.He thinks it may be a FXR..but he was not sure on the mounting bracket that seems to be between the motor and the tranny...this threw him off..I am looking to replace it..but not sure what to look for as far as old or new..was givin a quote of 2000$ rebuild ..or 4000$ new....not installed.
If I can just figure out what it is I have...I can go from there...Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Transmission Identification.??-dsc01945.jpg   Transmission Identification.??-dsc01946.jpg   Transmission Identification.??-dsc01949.jpg   Transmission Identification.??-dsc01954.jpg   Transmission Identification.??-dsc01956.jpg  

Old 03-27-2015, 09:29 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

It's an early style T-bracket 5 speed used for both FL's and FX's.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:36 AM
Banned

Somebody has changed out the, bearing door and clutch actuator cover to the 87 and later style. You must have a pre-87 bike you will have a tough time finding a new case but they are out there. Where do they plan on getting a case for this $4000 transmission?

Old 03-27-2015, 02:17 PM
rickymcmountain
2nd Gear

Thank You for the info...I will look into the tranny online.The price I was quoted was from a shop here in Ontario Canada...He went on to say that it is all US pricing...with exchange rate of 38 cents on the dollar...LOL...Went to another shop today only to find out the guy says bring it by maybe we can fix it by welding.or another different case where from who knows..and inspect gears for just under 2000$ Canadian.....guess i will making up my mind soon.....Sucks getting a new ride then Bang...another fistfull of cash out the door..
My bike is a 1993 dyna chopper on a flh frame ..and older parts by the sounds of it...
Thank you for the help in identification of this tranny Mark...are the cases like hens teeth....hard 2 find?

Old 03-27-2015, 03:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rickymcmountain
Thank You for the info...I will look into the tranny online.The price I was quoted was from a shop here in Ontario Canada...He went on to say that it is all US pricing...with exchange rate of 38 cents on the dollar...LOL...Went to another shop today only to find out the guy says bring it by maybe we can fix it by welding.or another different case where from who knows..and inspect gears for just under 2000$ Canadian.....guess i will making up my mind soon.....Sucks getting a new ride then Bang...another fistfull of cash out the door..
My bike is a 1993 dyna chopper on a flh frame ..and older parts by the sounds of it...
Thank you for the help in identification of this tranny Mark...are the cases like hens teeth....hard 2 find?
We no longer offer complete 5 speed transmissions for the pre-87 bikes because we just can't find cases for them. The only thing we've found over the past 6-7 years are used ones. The bearing doors are getting equally hard to find, hence why somebody updated the one on your trans.

Last edited by corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com; 03-27-2015 at 03:18 PM. Reason: spelling/grammar all of the above
Old 03-27-2015, 03:24 PM
Banned

Just a heads up too.that motor did not come out of a Dyna, Dyna's didn't come out till 91 and they bolted to the motor using 2 vertical bolts. A early t-bracket case would not bolt up. It may have been an FXR.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:10 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

That part is #16208-85 'BRACKET, transmission to engine', the part number indicating it was introduced in 1985. It was certainly used on FXR bikes during the late '80s. To see more details visit an on-line parts website like this one where you can see it as part of an exploded diagram. You can also get the casing part number and see if you can locate one. There are similar trans casings both genuine and aftermarket on Ebay.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:19 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

I sure have one of those transmission cases and trap doors in my parts room....If you need it.

It's from an '82 FXR.

Old 03-30-2015, 04:38 PM
rickymcmountain
2nd Gear

I would like to take a minute and Thank You all for the help in this issue...It seems my bike has a few gremlins on it ..in it...lol...Went to start her up the other day and now it seems my Crane Hi-4 Module is not lighting up at all...no power any more..had spark now no spark.She is going into the shop tommorrow to check electronics...for a new tranny..and maybe a upgrade motor...will keep ya posted....Thanks again for all the help.