Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Cracked pressure plate on inner clutch hub

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 04:19 PM
bvalleejr
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracked pressure plate on inner clutch hub

Upon inspecting things a little more closely before I installed my new clutch pack.. I found this nifty little hairline crack running about 1/3 the way around the inner clutch hub where the back pressure plate butts to the splines.. with old eyes I am lucky I saw this as it wasn't easy to see all assembled.. can bet this was part of my slipping clutch syndrome with the pressure plate flexing... ughh .. cant fn believe it.. well with my luck ya I can actually lol. so much for a simple clutch pack upgrade. I've been in here a couple time before for other repairs and never noticed it, but never really looked before either as I wasn't replacing the clutch then.. it takes a beating I guess, pulled 105 HP last fall on dyno shootout run with it slipping pretty good on the first trial runs.. Wanna hit 110 this year with new clutch set up and some fine tuning. I drive it a bit hard at times and hate it to slip when I tromp on it, I want lock up lol..

I am going to experiment with using the Clutchwiz with 480 lb evolution spring which is supposed to increase clamping pressure greatly while supposedly not killing the clutch lever pull pressure, an Alto Carbonite extra plate clutch pack, and a Hayden auto chain tensioner to smooth things up. Well that is the hope anyway that these all play nice together. My today plan was final assembly, scratch that.

So now I need a new inner clutch hub to keep all this together. Does anyone know of a better aftermarket heavy duty inner clutch hub that may be more beefy that original to recommend? Or should I stick to HD original and hope the 480 spring doesn't crack that quicker than the stock spring.. I see Drag Specialties and Bikers choice sell them as well as a few others, but unsure of the quality or comparison of any of those units vs HD OEM.. thanks help from anyone who has been there..

Attached Thumbnails Cracked pressure plate on inner clutch hub-1526600_905739866145609_5446035595472057913_n.jpg  
Old 04-12-2015, 11:47 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

A couple of things, 1. the clutch wiz giveth the clutch wiz taketh away. Any reduction in lever pull is directly taken away from clamping, in exact proportion. If you get a lighter lever pull than you would have with a SE spring you will have less clamping force than with that spring. I am running a stock clutch pack with the aim 340 and the aim vpc 95, no issues and I have a bit more hp than where you happen to be at. Observation 2 if you gotta buy a new basket I'd consider the aim billet one way before putting the same model that cracked back in. Take a peek at their products, Aim Tamachi. The basket is an evo ind basket but evo's web page loads super slow for me so I would just use AIM.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:58 PM
bvalleejr
4th Gear

Thanks for the reply qtrracer.. I had read a lot about the clutchwiz and from testimony from many actual users they noticed a big different in clamping power, wheel standing so slip action with less cable pull at about 11 lbs.. for the $150 it is worth a gamble, I can always go back to stock. I read many horror stories about the VPC'c wearing and some coming unglued and added noise.. so wth.. I will be a guinea pig and give it a go, got the 480 lb spring which is reported to be end up at approx. 422 lbs, about 40 lbs more than the SE 382 lb spring at less lever pull... or they say so anyway.. I shall see

My basket isn't bad, already replaced a sheared ring gear last season, it was my clutch hub that was cracked where the pressure plate meets the clutch plate spline. Ordered a stock HD one instead of aftermarket not knowing what aftermarket quality was.. will have it together this week and stomp on it and see how it all fares.. thanks again

Attached Thumbnails Cracked pressure plate on inner clutch hub-img_20150418_191347166.jpg   Cracked pressure plate on inner clutch hub-img_20150411_143550117.jpg   Cracked pressure plate on inner clutch hub-img_20150418_191401301.jpg  
Old 04-20-2015, 11:46 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Hope it works out. Like I said I'm running a 340lb aim spring with a vpc, clutch pull is like stock and it is holding 130hp. I have had outstanding results with their products.

Old 10-11-2017, 02:48 PM
jamie flexer
Stage I
Default Any one ever try replacing the actual pressure plate one the clip holding the clutch adjuster plate had broken out of the pressure plate.without having to remove the whole clutch basket?

Even with the special clutch pressure plate tool you have nothing to thread the tool into...hope this helps someone but after a few days racking my brain. I came up with a 8in 3 jaw puller which just grabbed the outter main I guess sprocket the starter (bendix) gear engages to start bike then centered the puller useing just the frame of the harley A.K.A motion pro clutch pressure plate tool then the center of puller just fit the hole on the clutch tool which after a few turns on the puller the C clip / O ring came rite out just be careful keep all threads well oiled & don't over tighten puller tighten it just till u can move the C clip with a finger then you'll grab & pull it rite out with a needle nose pliers don't why harley did this horrible design for the clutch on the early to mid DYNA'S mine being a 96 fxdwg but I heard they went back to the original style clutch baskets around 2000 due to the horrible design

Last edited by jamie flexer; 10-11-2017 at 03:36 PM. Reason: To add the solution
Old 10-12-2017, 11:08 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

Originally Posted by bvalleejr
Thanks for the reply qtrracer.. I had read a lot about the clutchwiz and from testimony from many actual users they noticed a big different in clamping power, wheel standing so slip action with less cable pull at about 11 lbs.. for the $150 it is worth a gamble, I can always go back to stock. I read many horror stories about the VPC'c wearing and some coming unglued and added noise.. so wth.. I will be a guinea pig and give it a go, got the 480 lb spring which is reported to be end up at approx. 422 lbs, about 40 lbs more than the SE 382 lb spring at less lever pull... or they say so anyway.. I shall see

My basket isn't bad, already replaced a sheared ring gear last season, it was my clutch hub that was cracked where the pressure plate meets the clutch plate spline. Ordered a stock HD one instead of aftermarket not knowing what aftermarket quality was.. will have it together this week and stomp on it and see how it all fares.. thanks again

CW with a 480 LB spring will drop the pressure to 350lbs which is less than the SE..

qrracer is correct, you don't get something for nothing. Another way to go is find an 21 degree ramps and use an easy boy arm. If you do +1 use a clutch, get one without the damping spring.