Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Removing trap door locknuts

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 01:57 PM
Good_Apollo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Removing trap door locknuts

I have a stripped hole in my trap door/exhaust bracket mounting. I bought the George's garage tool to remove the trap door without removing primary.

My question is, how can I remove the trap door locknuts without pulling the primary cover or trans top cover? The trans just spins right now. Is there a way to lock it up so I can break the mainshaft/countershaft lock nuts loose?

Old 04-13-2015, 07:39 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Try putting the transmission in gear and hold your foot on the brake.

If that doesn`t work, remove the top cover from the transmission, remove the shift drum, then move the gears back and forth on the shafts while trying to turn the shafts.

You will get the transmission to be in 2 gears at the same time, this will lock the shafts so that they won`t turn.

The process of removing the trap door cross loads the ball bearings, so you should replace them (about 15-20 bucks each).

Old 04-14-2015, 04:45 PM
oldbikenut
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I might as well ask this here instead of starting another thread. I've got the same problem.

One of the bolts that holds the trapdoor or side door on the transmission of my '03 dyna is broken off flush with the transmission housing. The bolt hole was used to mount an aftermarket exhaust, and some ******** (not me) overtightened the bolt and broke it. Looks like a fairly common problem.

In order to get at the end of the broken bolt, it looks like I'm going to have to pull the trapdoor off the transmission.

I was wondering if it is possible to just pull the locknuts off the ends of the tranny shafts and pop the trapdoor, leaving the rest of the tranny and primary intact. That would beat the hell out of disassembling the primary and transmission.

Since the ball bearings are secured to the end of the shafts by the locknuts, maybe they are just an interference fit, and not a press fit. Maybe they would require no significant side loading to pull them or reinstall them??? Maybe get by without the expensive puller and reinstall tools I'll only use one time???

Last edited by oldbikenut; 04-14-2015 at 04:56 PM.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:05 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

You will need a special puller to remove the trap door that way. The bearings are a press fit onto the shaft, and are also a press fit into the trap door.

Old 04-15-2015, 02:25 PM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Originally Posted by oldbikenut
I might as well ask this here instead of starting another thread. I've got the same problem.

One of the bolts that holds the trapdoor or side door on the transmission of my '03 dyna is broken off flush with the transmission housing. The bolt hole was used to mount an aftermarket exhaust, and some ******** (not me) overtightened the bolt and broke it. Looks like a fairly common problem.

In order to get at the end of the broken bolt, it looks like I'm going to have to pull the trapdoor off the transmission.

I was wondering if it is possible to just pull the locknuts off the ends of the tranny shafts and pop the trapdoor, leaving the rest of the tranny and primary intact. That would beat the hell out of disassembling the primary and transmission.

Since the ball bearings are secured to the end of the shafts by the locknuts, maybe they are just an interference fit, and not a press fit. Maybe they would require no significant side loading to pull them or reinstall them??? Maybe get by without the expensive puller and reinstall tools I'll only use one time???
You will only have to buy the mainshaft race puller then you will be able to remove the gearset. the short cut you are attempting could end up an expensive and time consuming long cut. Buy the tool from here it's $130

http://www.georges-garage.com/trans_pre_o7.htm

When your done with it put it on e-bay for $100 with the description "1 time use" it will sell.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:52 PM
oldbikenut
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you've convinced me to go ahead and pull the trapdoor/gearset as a unit. More disassembly involved, but less potential headaches.

Thanks!

Old 04-15-2015, 05:54 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
You will only have to buy the mainshaft race puller then you will be able to remove the gearset. the short cut you are attempting could end up an expensive and time consuming long cut. Buy the tool from here it's $130

http://www.georges-garage.com/trans_pre_o7.htm

When your done with it put it on e-bay for $100 with the description "1 time use" it will sell.
Originally Posted by oldbikenut
I think you've convinced me to go ahead and pull the trapdoor/gearset as a unit. More disassembly involved, but less potential headaches.

Thanks!
I like the way you guys think.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:21 PM
Good_Apollo
Road Warrior

IT wasn't that hard, I also now have the george's garage tools for pre-07 if you want to rent them from me.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:18 PM
Good_Apollo
Road Warrior

IT wasn't that hard, I also now have the george's garage tools for pre-07 if you want to rent them from me.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:19 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Originally Posted by Good_Apollo
Good job, someone will need the tools, start a thread, heck maybe we should start a tool or tool rental section.