Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2000 heritage softail transmission question

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 09:03 AM
chesapeakechuck
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 heritage softail transmission question

The transmission in my 2000 heritage softail grenaded. I am looking at one on ebay out of a 2002 fatboy. It is described as a 5-speed transmission 213. Can someone please verify to me that this is the correct replacement unit for my bike? It looks identical in the photos, but I would feel better if someone could verify that this will work in my bike. The advertised transmission is described as being "dirty", but only is reported to have about 11K on it.

Thanks!

Chuck

Old 04-22-2015, 09:19 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Can you post the picture from the ad? The number 213 means nothing to me but if I can see it I can tell you.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:01 AM
chesapeakechuck
Stage IV
Default pic

Here it is. It is a bit dirty, but is reported to only have just over 11K miles on it. It looks like the right one.

Attached Thumbnails 2000 heritage softail transmission question-tranny.jpg  
Old 04-23-2015, 09:09 AM
chesapeakechuck
Stage IV
Default Why the tranny grenaded.

While tearing the bike down, I noticed that the nut that holds the front pully on had backed off completely and was just dangling on the main shaft. I think the pully must have been floating around, and in the process generated a ton of heat. Eventually, the pully spline gave way and stripped completely. The main shaft seal on the transmission failed while I was going down the freeway 80 miles and hour and the oil all leaked out (gave me no warning signs prior to failure). I exited the freeway and was shifting from 3rd to 2nd when I felt what I thought was the clutch slip badly. In fact, this was the front pully spline giving up the ghost. I tried to get the bike into gear and it just started grinding. Pulled over immediately and by the time I got off the bike there was a ten inch pool of tranny oil already on the ground. The transmission is making all sorts of uncomfortable noises now and I just decided to replace the thing as opposed to rebuilding it (I'll pull it apart sometime, just not now).

Has anybody heard of the front pulley nut backing off and doing this? I had HD put a reman motor in the bike last year, but I don't think they played with the frong pulley. Not sure if they messed with it as they lined up the new motor with the tranny or not.....I have had the bike since almost new and never messed with the front pulley.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:28 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

That is the correct transmission, and yes the pulley nuts do back off from time to time. The best thing to do with pulleys when installing them is to clean the nut good apply red loc-tite and hit with an impact until it stops turning and then about 5 more ..dat..dat..dats. You won't hurt the main drive gear and as you have found out you don't want it backing off. Also use red loc-tite on the bolts for the lock plate.

Old 04-25-2015, 06:37 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,497 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Why don`t you disassemble the transmission you have and see what is needed?

I`ll bet all you need is a 5th gear.

You don`t need to replace the entire transmission.