Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2000 XL883C clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 06:37 PM
brucebiker
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 XL883C clutch problem

Hey y'all, I have a clutch situation and I am hoping to learn about the issue.

It began riding one day, I came to a stop light and noticed I couldn't shift into neutral. It was difficult to the point of using all of my leg muscle to lift the shift lever. Eventually, the clutch cable became looser and looser until I had no pull whatsoever. Had to pull the bike off the road.

I did an adjustment using my service manual as well as this
which was helpful, however the clutch cable becomes loose all over again within the first few minutes of riding.

Today, after taking the derby cover off and inspecting the bearings and fluid level, I reattached everything with another adjustment and now there is a squealing or squeaking sound when I pull the clutch lever when the bike is running. Also, there seems to be what sounds like a grinding noise or scratching ( I think it's the primary chain ) when I pull the clutch lever. I didn't even shift it into gear - didn't want to without consulting you all about it.

Not really sure what to do at this point, kind of lost on how to fix it, trying not to get frustrated. I just want to make sure I do it correctly. If I have to bring it to a shop I will, I just don't have great experience with shops as they tend to fix things I don't want fixed.

I tried to find this issue somewhere on the forums but to no avail. If this exact issue is somewhere and someone knows I would be happy to follow the thread.

Thank you ahead of time and I appreciate any and all support.

Old 05-06-2015, 03:43 PM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Sounds like a throwout bearing went bye bye.