Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

HELP! Found Compensator Nut Completely Loose

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 11:02 PM
SummitRK
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HELP! Found Compensator Nut Completely Loose

I have an 05' Road King Classic. I only rode a few times this year. The end of last year I noticed that when i really lugged it after it was warmed up, i was hearing a high pitched squeaking. I later replaced the cam chain tensioners (They were due at about 30,000 miles) and it didn't change anything. So, I put a few miles on so far this spring and the squeaking seemed to be getting worse. I got to thinking the other day that i should check the primary drive. I took the cover off today to get an accurate measurement on the primary chain. I realized when i went to turn the crank that the compensator nut was really loose. I see that it gets tightened to 150-165ft lbs. That is really tight! ( i thought the axle was tight at 90-105lbs. How the heck can that come loose? Anyhow, my thought is should i be concerned with any damage that could have occured from it being loose? I am going to have to go on a hunt for a torque wrench that will go up to 150 ft lbs. Hopefully nothing else is warn because of it. Opinions or info? This is the first time i've been on that side of the engine. Thanks!!

Last edited by SummitRK; 05-09-2015 at 11:07 PM.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:55 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

clean the threads really well and use some red loctite, torque to spec. and after it's running again put a multimeter on the battery and make sure it's charging. sometimes when the comp. comes loose it can take out the splines on the rotor. you could always take it completely apart and inspect everything before hand. if it were me, i would take everything apart and inspect.

Old 05-11-2015, 03:28 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Pretty common on the early models. Sloppy factory tolerances sometimes allow the compensator nut to "bottom out" so while the specified torque is applied the required clamping pressure to hold the compensator is not achieved and the comp nut will back out and loosen over time. The MoCo recognized this and offered shims in several different thicknesses to address the issue. Before the shims were available, the fix was to mill about .030"-.060" off the end of the comp nut. This would keep the comp nut from bottoming out and the require clamping pressure would be applied with the specified torque.

I don't know if the shims are still available but the easiest fix is to have a machine shop remove .030"-.060" from the end of the comp nut and it will not come loose again.

See the attached sketch for clarification.

Attached Thumbnails HELP! Found Compensator Nut Completely Loose-compnutsketch.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (04-25-2020)
Old 04-22-2020, 10:31 PM
Brianwarren
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Help compensator nut bottoming out

when you say earlier models what years specific are you speaking of. I have 06 Electra glide and I believe the exact same thing is happening. I believe my compensator nut is bottoming out at about 10 degrees past 75 lbs on the torque wrench. I noticed earlier and I have searched and called people with no luck. Can I add a shim on the outside of my compensator or shave some off the nut

Originally Posted by djl
Pretty common on the early models. Sloppy factory tolerances sometimes allow the compensator nut to "bottom out" so while the specified torque is applied the required clamping pressure to hold the compensator is not achieved and the comp nut will back out and loosen over time. The MoCo recognized this and offered shims in several different thicknesses to address the issue. Before the shims were available, the fix was to mill about .030"-.060" off the end of the comp nut. This would keep the comp nut from bottoming out and the require clamping pressure would be applied with the specified torque.

I don't know if the shims are still available but the easiest fix is to have a machine shop remove .030"-.060" from the end of the comp nut and it will not come loose again.

Old 04-25-2020, 02:23 PM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 431 Likes on 360 Posts

The torque procedure has changed with the compensator nut, https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-bulletin.html.

Old 04-25-2020, 02:31 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Deleted post

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 04-25-2020 at 02:33 PM.
Old 04-27-2020, 09:42 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,225 Likes on 3,608 Posts

Originally Posted by Brianwarren
when you say earlier models what years specific are you speaking of. I have 06 Electra glide and I believe the exact same thing is happening. I believe my compensator nut is bottoming out at about 10 degrees past 75 lbs on the torque wrench. I noticed earlier and I have searched and called people with no luck. Can I add a shim on the outside of my compensator or shave some off the nut

Yes. That what is typically needed.

Old 04-27-2020, 10:06 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

If I'm reading this correctly one would have to countersink the back of the comp nut, not just mill material off of it?

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 04-27-2020, 10:53 AM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by Zanthamos
The torque procedure has changed with the compensator nut, https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-bulletin.html.
I would have to look up the tq value. But my 5 speed and 6 speeds, don't really have a different procedure, that I can tell. Not sure if the comp nut change when the went to 6 speed, I always guessed it did, but don't really know.

I can't figure out how to blow up the pics of the bulletin. So I can't read it.

Why they changed it, is a good question.

Originally Posted by djl

You did seem to hear about it on the 88s. Though my 01 has 80, and has not been off since 34k. I checked it a few years ago.

Last edited by Zerk; 04-27-2020 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-27-2020, 11:01 AM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 431 Likes on 360 Posts

Highlight is biggest change is torque to 75 ft/lbs then scribe a line on nut and sprocket. Torque an additional 45-50 degrees past that initial 75 ft/lbs torque. This applies to all 2003 to 2005 twin cam models.

Last edited by Zanthamos; 04-27-2020 at 11:03 AM.

Quick Reply: HELP! Found Compensator Nut Completely Loose