Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Clutch not working

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 08:54 AM
97 dyna lowrider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your going to have to open your primary. Are you mechanically inclined ?

Old 05-24-2015, 02:36 PM
Wampa Stomper
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a bit rusty on my mechanic ability, been about 15 years since any real repairs.. I'm willing to learn but this is a little too much too fast. If I can't get them unstuck using the many methods I've read about by Tues. I'm gonna take it to the shop.

Old 05-24-2015, 03:24 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 3,786 Posts

It should break loose like I posted in 7. If not, it's a simple matter to remove the 3 screws on the derby cover and make sure you see the clutch mechanism moving in when you pull the clutch in. If so, I would douse it with some spray liquid wrench penetrant and try bumping it a little more. You are probably right about not working on it. At that age, parts are scarce except aftermarket. Doubt a Harley dealer has any parts, let alone will work on it. Go to this site and look up the clutch. You will need to pick something close but they were way over complicated at that time. Could indeed be something broke. If it was a Sporty, their riveted pressure plate would wear and hang up Think yours is riveted to. You can still get the rivets. Think it take a puller to get it apart. The newer bikes just have a left hand nut and it all comes apart. Someone really needs to know how to work on this old iron. There is a youtube video of someone pulling this clutch hub and he breaks it. Probably a $400+ part if you are lucky enough to find one.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....TCH%20ASSEMBLY

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 05-24-2015 at 03:26 PM.
Old 05-24-2015, 04:01 PM
97 dyna lowrider
Tourer

Removing the derby cover is not going to give enough access to the clutch basket to do or see anything. You can see the basket. But that is not going to be enough to tell what's going on. Your going to have to remove the hole outer primary.
And do not try to force anything. I'm sorry but do not listen when someone tells you to rock start it up against something and give it gas and let the clutch out. You are going to do more damage!!! Not so much with the rocking of the bike in gear not running. But trying to force it when it's frozen IMO not a good idea. If you don't think your up to the job then your going to have to bring it somewhere you have no choice.

Last edited by 97 dyna lowrider; 05-24-2015 at 04:09 PM.
Old 05-24-2015, 04:25 PM
97 dyna lowrider
Tourer

MAnd as far as your heal toe shifter the heal part is only used after first gear. First gear is always down on the front toe shifter. Press down on the front toe shifter with clutch lever pulled in 5 times then you know your in first. The bike only has 5 gears. So doing this will or should put it in first. When riding toe shifter is used to down shift. Heal shifter is used for all other gears after first gear. Up on the toe shifter is always the next gear up. So after first gear you can step down on the heal shifter to go into the next gear. It's the same a pulling up on the front toe shifter. Your just stepping down on the heal which lifts up on the toe shifter. You don't have to use the heal shifter at all if you don't want to.
NOT trying to be a jerk and no disrespect but it sounds like your in over your head with this bike. As far as working on it and riding it. Please be carefull

Last edited by 97 dyna lowrider; 05-24-2015 at 05:12 PM.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:37 PM
Wampa Stomper
Cruiser

Thank you. I do plan on taking it slow, I plan on taking it to a local elementary school parking lot and practice some basics there, then putter around my subdivision.

As far as working on the thing, I know I'm in over my head. I'm doing minor things at first while I learn about it. Anything that would affect my safety or others I'm leaving to the pros for now. Hell, I'm taking it to the shop this week for an oil change and tune up so I know exactly how it's supposed to sound.

I don't think you're being a jerk, you're helping me be safer by giving me the info I need, which will make me safer and I thank you.

Old 05-25-2015, 07:55 AM
97 dyna lowrider
Tourer

These are the things that make me wish I had the money, and ***** to open my own shop. I hate people taking advantage of other people with less knowledge. I wish I could meet up with everyone. I would spend all the time you need to help you and anyone else learn. Just make sure you can trust the mechanic you bring it to. I myself have been ripped of plenty. And I have a GOOD!! idea of what I'm doing. Sometimes you just have to pay to get the info you need. It cost me $200 to find out the problem with my open belt drive. The place I brought it to took it apart didn't fix anything put some of it back together and gave it back to me. Or rather I told them to stop what they were doing. So for $200 bucks I got my bike taken apart and told we can't help. It's an motor problem. I fixed this supposed $3000 dollar motor job they tried to sell me with $3 worth of washers from Home Depot. So If you don't know ask ask ask and if something don't seem right it's probably not. One thing about this forum you will get honest answers.
And not for nothing but look at what you local shop told you to do. Your a new rider not familiar with you bike and they tell you to put it in gear rev it up a let the clutch out. Are you NUTS!!! That's just asking for you to hurt yourself and the bike to accidentally take off. That's the crap I'm talking about. I could understand someone like me or them doing this we have years of experience But I would never suggest anyone to do this unless they know exactly what there doing.
Good luck and always ask ask ask. And if the person your asking gets annoyed . Then You really don't want to listen to them in the first place.

Last edited by 97 dyna lowrider; 05-25-2015 at 07:58 AM.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:19 PM
Wampa Stomper
Cruiser

Well, he did ask me if I had a brick wall I could put it up against first, lol. But I do understand what you're saying. They've been extremely helpful and honest with me so far, as in they're info matches with a lot of the stuff I read here.

Everybody has to learn sometime, I just choose to go a little slower than some.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:17 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

You can pull the derby cover off and see if the pressure plate is moving that will at least let you know it's working. There is a sticky thread on how to do a clutch adjustment. Is this a 4 speed or a 5 speed?