Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

baker compensator Ordered

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 09:50 AM
speedydog5
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default baker compensator Ordered

Well my SE compensator(changed original to SE ) is clunking went out so instead of seeing if the junk HD will last more then 6000 miles got My Baker ordered just wish i didnt have to wait so long

Old 05-30-2015, 09:16 PM
longbrake81
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did you know your compensator went out? I'm having some issues and wonder if that's it.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:30 AM
speedydog5
Tourer

loud clunk in front of primary whenever I eased in and out of gear , took off primary and found lot of metal to metal wear on compensator assuming its not suppose to look like this and checked bolt and was Tight

Old 05-31-2015, 01:26 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

That's a nice pic of what goes wrong with the HD compensators -a better oiling design would have prevented that. I bet the spokes on the inside of the compensator sproket don't look good either!

Just had my Baker comp delivered, but getting greedy - want to install a nice clutch to go with it!

Old 05-31-2015, 01:32 PM
longbrake81
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to pull my cover. When I was riding to work there was a clunck. Now there is a clunky vibration around my feet. Especially in low gears. Not as bad going 55. I hope that's it. I hate not being able to figure out where the problem is.

Old 05-31-2015, 04:08 PM
speedydog5
Tourer

That was another thing I had was the vibration on me feet at 65 or higher speeds

Old 06-07-2015, 06:04 AM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

to the OP, was there any oil in that primary ?

that looks awful dry, not a trace of oil anywhere on chain, hub etc... even with poor oiling system to hub there should be some kind of oil on chain.. I've had my primary apart more then I count and its always had some kind of oil on the hub and chain.

Old 06-07-2015, 08:51 AM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by HD Pilot
That's a nice pic of what goes wrong with the HD compensators -a better oiling design would have prevented that. I bet the spokes on the inside of the compensator sproket don't look good either!

Just had my Baker comp delivered, but getting greedy - want to install a nice clutch to go with it!
Nice man! What clutch you thinking of going with?

Old 06-07-2015, 11:16 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by HD Bobber
Nice man! What clutch you thinking of going with?
About 95 percent sold on the Bandit Sportsman. The low amount of oil has always scared me off but with the new oiling design of the Baker, I am thinking the Baker comp and Bandit clutch would make a nice pair:

Taking my time, putting the HF 12 ton press together, have my clutch bearing, still deciding on which oil to run - Baker and Bandit's recommendations are different...

Old 06-07-2015, 06:00 PM
chriscalabro
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Ordered Baker comp and Evolution Clutch

Did the same. Ordered a baker comp from Mark last week and went with a Evolution complete clutch package at same time. Needed to replaced the stock clutch basket and was going evolution for that after lots of research ended up with the Evo clutch as well. Was leaning towards the Bandit which is a fine piece but moved away jus could not get comfortable with the 14 oz's.

I hear people saying they are concerned about the low fluid volume worried about stator cooling. I don't see that as a issue, you run the same stator when you run a belt drive and that of course has no fluid.

I understand Baker held up production to make modifications to ensure that the new comp would be able to effective use the smaller (14oz) fluid volume.

Quick Reply: baker compensator Ordered