Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Shifting problems when warm

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 11:32 AM
thumper 29
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifting problems when warm

Anyone have problems with the shifter sticking.
My shifter shifts fine until, after a long ride and it sits for a little, then if I ride it after that
when I shift up or down, the shifter will stay in the up position, or down, with me having to
either tap it back before shifting up or down.
I took it to a Harley dealer as I was passing through Midland Odessa, and they seemed to think
that it was my shifter action needed lubed, they did this and the problem resurfaced again
when the bike was good and heated up. Any solutions?

Old 04-27-2007, 11:45 AM
glide
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Shifting problems when warm

You didn't mention what bike here, so try this. Barring any trans problems for now where the shift peg arms attach to the shaft, that is where the problem probably lies. It needs to be removed, cleaned and greased and then reinstalled. It's real simple, the long rod that goes back to the trans along the cylinders should be unbolted from the front end where it connects to this arm and then you'll see where the sticking is coming from in the area mentioned above.
This happens to a lot of bikes that are washed a lot, it washes out the lube that keeps things moving.

Old 04-28-2007, 12:46 AM
thumper 29
Outstanding HDF Member

Yeah I am guilty of washing the damn thing for sure, but I did take it to a dealer and they cleaned and lubed
it, and it still did it. Oh it is a 06 Night Train. It seems though that it does it when it is very warm.
The few days that it was doing it the temps were 80's - 100's, and it would really start its deal when
after I rode it for a while and stopped for say 10-15 minutes, and then got back on and rode it.
On my return trip the temperatures were in the high 70's low 80's, and it wouldn't do it even after riding
it for 500 or 600 miles.
I am kinda wondering if the spring inside there gets too warm and looses its spring when heated a certain temp.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:47 PM
03 Softail
Cruiser

I had the exact same problem on my 03 Softail Standard.
I ended up pulling the shifter shaft, put instead of just lubing the
shaft and putting it back together I ended up cleaning the shaft and then taking emery cloth around the entire shaft untill it
slids in nice and smoothly, then I lubed it up with white lith. grease haven't had a problem since. the emery cloth will take off any little
high spots on the shaft that my exspand when it gets warm causing the shifter to stick.
hope this work for you.

Old 07-08-2007, 04:53 PM
thelawdoc
Tourer

I suffer the same situation with my 06 deluxe shifter. But with me, there is no correlation to how long I rode or at what temperature. From the forums and from the dealer, it seems that the shifter needs to be taken apart and cleaned and regreased twice weekly. Go figure.

Old 08-05-2007, 07:18 PM
jcoers
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had this same problem crop up on me today. I have 2400 miles on my 07 Deluxe. I am guilty of washing it..... A lot......

Thank you for the info! I can sleep easy tonight!