Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Diagnose compensator going bad?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 06:53 AM
Sgt York
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diagnose compensator going bad?

I have a 2007 EG with 58k miles and want to know how to tell if the compensator is going bad. I have a noise in the primary that sounds to me like a chain rubbing so I got the shop manual out and took it apart. Sure enough the tensioner has three kind of deep groves in the shoe, so I called to HD dealer in Jackson Tn to see if they had one in stock. They had the gasket for $40 but would have to order the tensioner for $90. The parts guy asked if I had the update compensator and I do not. The parts guy suggest it might be the compensator and should bring it in to let them check it. Quoted over $800 to repair. Not in the budget right now.

I have ordered a M6-Primary Chain Tensioner Bt 07Up from M&M cycles and a primary gasket from J&P cycles. While I have everything apart and waiting on parts how can I tell if the compensator needs replacing?

Thanks

Old 06-07-2015, 05:58 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Best way is to take a look. Look at the pic in the "Baker Compensator Ordered" Thread in this Forum area. The spoke area if the compensator is the best place to start. If it looks all roughed up and "chewed" on, then a new comp may be needed. If this has been going on, you will see a fair amount of metal on the drain plug.

Old 06-07-2015, 06:56 PM
Sgt York
Tourer

Originally Posted by HD Pilot
Best way is to take a look. Look at the pic in the "Baker Compensator Ordered" Thread in this Forum area. The spoke area if the compensator is the best place to start. If it looks all roughed up and "chewed" on, then a new comp may be needed. If this has been going on, you will see a fair amount of metal on the drain plug.
Thanks HD Pilot. I put the cover back on while waiting for the chain adjuster. I'll take it back off and take a look. Really appreciate the help.

Old 06-08-2015, 07:30 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Another test you can do is with the clutch pulled in and in first gear, grab the front break like you're about to do a burnout and let the clutch out about half way if you get a knocking sound the comp is on it's way out.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:03 AM
SIDECAR BOB
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

also make sure that nut has not loosened up, had a rk that had the same sound as you described and the nut on the compensator was finger tight, no visible damage so I cleaned the threads little red loctight and retorqued it. noise went away

Old 06-08-2015, 04:56 PM
Sgt York
Tourer

Originally Posted by SIDECAR BOB
also make sure that nut has not loosened up, had a rk that had the same sound as you described and the nut on the compensator was finger tight, no visible damage so I cleaned the threads little red loctight and retorqued it. noise went away
Thanks Sidecar Bob. I'll check it.

Old 06-13-2015, 02:50 PM
Sgt York
Tourer

Ok, got the chain tensioner installed and the chain rubbing noise is gone. Look at the pic in the "Baker Compensator Ordered" to compare with mine, but I can not see any holes to look into it. just solid metal.

Will try this for a while and see if anything else comes up. Thanks for the help guys.