Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Installed Baker FF Hydraulic Side cover

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 07:32 PM
chriscalabro
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Installed Baker FF Hydraulic Side cover

Have been running HD Hydraulic side cover with Rivera Primo Pro Clutch (Gold Spring) for past 3 years. Have come to accept that I was never going to get a crisp clean shift consistently since it was non adjustable (keep telling yourself that you can adjust them by bleeding the system.) Finally decided that either I was going back to cable or I would take a chance with the Baker FF Hydraulic side cover.

Baker has basically set up this piece with the ability to adjust your clutch just as you had with a cable. Dial in at the clutch pressure plate. Install was quick and unit comes with a high grade gasket and top quality hardware. Fit and finish (wrinkle Black) excellent. DOES NOT accept a harley clutch line rather accepts a standard 10MM banjo.

Install took about 2 hours (had to remove part of the Bassani road rage pipe to access the bolts, drain the transmission, remove the primary cover to switch the Rivera Pressure plate from the Hydraulic one to the standard cable plate, new push rod (stock harley cable pushrod) and buttoned the whole unit back up.

Proper lube on the unit prior to install and a couple of quick clutch pulls and the line was bled. Once bled I left bleeder valve open and cranked the clutch adjuster all the way in to bottom out the hydraulic piston. Backed off 1/2 turn locked it down and took a ride. Awesome smooth and the adjustment allowed me to get that clean shift I was searching for.

Part looks great and has a much lower profile than the HD version. And it works which is always a bonus. Tough to get a decent photo but is is butted up to a DD7 Transmission which has served many miles.

Attached Thumbnails Installed Baker FF Hydraulic Side cover-img_0638.jpg  
Old 06-23-2015, 08:11 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts
Old 06-23-2015, 08:13 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Nice to hear. Baker seems to make parts that flat out work.

R&R 131" How is the engine treating ya? Is it street friendly or more race friendly?

Old 06-23-2015, 08:53 AM
chriscalabro
Cruiser

Originally Posted by HD Pilot
Nice to hear. Baker seems to make parts that flat out work.

R&R 131" How is the engine treating ya? Is it street friendly or more race friendly?
I could write a book on R&R engines this is my 3rd and has been the best. 10.5:1 compression keeps it where I like it low heat ( hard to believe but heat and oil temps register lower than prior 117 and 124 builds. Could be partially external oil returns).

Engine has been great only issue was weeping base gaskets right out of box.had them replaced last year they apparently have changed the gasket type and manufacturer which tells me I was not the first.

Very strong heavy torque especially with 2:1 and the DD7 setup makes 1st gear very strong. Real stump puller but easily pegged the speedo when I jump on it last year. By the time I hit 7th gear I was in the 100's and climbing. Maximum pucker factor.

Replace the lifters every year ever since I had one explode and wipe out the 117. Other than that the best engine I have ever run. Bike is lion in sheeps clothes.
R&R is good company and enjoy Reggie and the gang, but Baker has been the most consistent supplier I have dealt with to date. Stuff is expensive but once you get your hands on it you understand why.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:22 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Well if you write that book, I'll read it! Thanks for the report, very informative. Looking forward to installing my new Baker comp and Bandit clutch, just debating whether or not to add a Evo basket to the mix.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:03 PM
chriscalabro
Cruiser

Originally Posted by HD Pilot
Well if you write that book, I'll read it! Thanks for the report, very informative. Looking forward to installing my new Baker comp and Bandit clutch, just debating whether or not to add a Evo basket to the mix.
Bandit Evo is a nice setup.