Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Primary issues - need expert opinions

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 11:49 AM
dlpuette
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Primary issues - need expert opinions

Have an 11 FLHTK that I bought used in 12 with 2500 on the clock (was a Harley corporate exec bike). I did the 5K and 10K service at the dealer while it was still under warranty. Asked them to use synthetic in all holes.

What I have had in it is a pinging/ticking (tinging?) coming from the primary (I think) when it's hot and under slight load. Sounds like a few BB's got loose in there. It's a random kind of noise, not rythmic like something rubbing. And again, only happens at speed when I'm slightly accelerating.

At first I thought it was engine ping but I've had it tuned and the sound is clearly coming from the left side of the bike. My ear radar points right to the primary. It's hard to really pinpoint since I'm underway and paying attention to the road.

Another clue in the mystery - I changed my fluids a few days ago at 18k miles, so this was the first primary one I did myself since the 10K check. What came out was grayish, not black oil. Says moisture contamination to me. Plus there was a gray paste with possible little metal bits on the magnetic plug.

I filled it with the 38 0z of Mobil One 20-50 V Twin. My thought is to run it a day or so and make sure it gets full up to temperature and drain it again to see what I see.

So my question to all the learned wrenches here is what do you think? Is this possibly a compensator issue? My starts are fine and I haven't noticed any of the common compensator failure clues.

Would love to hear from you guys on this!!

(I'm cross posting this on the touring forums as well due to their high readership)

Last edited by dlpuette; 07-01-2015 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:04 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,499 Posts

I am not an expert but have been exposed to the later compensator issues at the local independent shop where I hang out from time to time. The problems with the later model compensator are well documented. Lack of lubrication and premature wear on the internals have caused the MoCo to modify/upgrade the original version two or three times and they now have an upgrade kit that is supposed to finally be a solution. Mine is an early model so I haven't kept up with the details but there are also aftermarket replacements from Baker or the "Compensaver" that, IMHO, are better solutions that the MoCo solution. My money is on the compensator and if not addressed, it will probably fail around 25K miles.