Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Overfilled Primary - HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 06:55 AM
DinoM
Tourer
Received 69 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Overfilled Primary - HELP PLEASE

I posted this in the Touring section but realized it should probably be posted here instead....

I know there are a number of posts on this subject and I've read most of the ones I could find. My apologies if this is redundant but still unclear on an answer.

I just did a complete outer and inner primary removal/replacement on my 05 EGC. (had to get to a stripped inner shifter lever)
Upon refilling the primary, which every other time I've ever done a fluid change usually takes about a quart which brings the level right up to the bottom of the clutch, bike straight up and NOT on jiffy stand as the manual says.

This time, I poured in the quart, not even close to being visible to the bottom of the basket. Grabbed another quart... started pouring that in, got about a quarter into that quart, still not visible. Ended up pouring, checking, pouring, checking until the entire second quart went in. Only then could I see the level at the bottom of the basket.
Does 64 ounces sound right????? I checked both the crankcase oil and the tranny oil and they were right were they were supposed to be.

Thanks in advance for any help or advise here!!!!

Old 07-15-2015, 07:51 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

First off, the oil, transmission fluid and primary fluid are in separate enclosures. Think of it as having 3 glasses on the table about 2 inches a part from one another. Over filling one glass does nothing but make a mess on the table.

Did you look under the bike for a puddle of primary fluid?

Old 07-15-2015, 07:56 AM
inkdemon
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

There's a quart or most of floating somewhere.

Old 07-15-2015, 07:57 AM
DinoM
Tourer

Originally Posted by Next In Line
First off, the oil, transmission fluid and primary fluid are in separate enclosures. Think of it as having 3 glasses on the table about 2 inches a part from one another. Over filling one glass does nothing but make a mess on the table.

Did you look under the bike for a puddle of primary fluid?
Yup!!! Nothing on the ground! The reason I was checking the other two compartments was that I read in another thread that sometimes a bad seal could allow fluid to transfer between the primary and tranny as well as the primary and crank.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:48 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member

Drain the primary and see if 2 quarts come out.

If not, then start to worry where it all went off to.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:53 AM
grapeapes
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Drain the primary and see if 2 quarts come out.

If not, then start to worry where it all went off to.
Draining won't get it all, he'd have to take the outer primary off again to get the full 2 qts correct?

Old 07-15-2015, 12:20 PM
DinoM
Tourer

Originally Posted by grapeapes
Draining won't get it all, he'd have to take the outer primary off again to get the full 2 qts correct?
I did drain as much out as I could without pulling the outer primary again. And yes, approx. 2 quarts did come out.

So I just let it drain really good and refilled with 32oz as my 05 service manual says, 32oz for a "wet" and 45oz for a "dry" change. I treated it as a "wet" change at this point.

I made sure to measure out 32oz instead of just pouring from the quart again too.

Maybe my eyesight is going bad after all these years but I still don't see any oil when I look in through the derby cover. With the bike straight up (as the manual says) or even on the jiffy stand, I'm still not seeing anything. It could also be that I'm using a new oil RedLine instead of Amsoil and it is lighter in color so maybe harder to see down in through the derby cover?

I did open the inspection cover though and could see the chain tensioner and the chain sitting in the oil. So at least I know it's bathing in oil.

Wish me luck and thank you for your help guys!!!

Old 07-15-2015, 01:31 PM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member

Did you use a flash light when checking the oil level?

Old 07-15-2015, 09:53 PM
DinoM
Tourer

Did you use a flash light when checking the oil level?
Yep!!!