Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Sticky/ catchy cluch lever after lubing with pb blaster

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 09:33 PM
jj5685
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Sticky/ catchy cluch lever after lubing with pb blaster

I just changed my handle bars out and thought my clutch felt stiffer. It couldve been from riding my dads softtail for a weekend and then going back to mine and noticed the difference. But anyway I removed my clutch handle and sprayed down cable with pb blaster. I then got a easier to move clutch lever but it was twitchy when letting off easy at first. So I went out and bought some cable lube and still have a problem. I can hardly take off in first without a jerk and cant turn slow working the clutch. If you squeeze the clutch when bike is off it just has like a squeeky clean jerk to it. Before I lubed it I could hear it making a dry squeak when pulled sometimes. But my bike does look cool. kinda wish i wouldve went 12" instead since my cables were long enough. I cant afford new stainless cables just yet so id like to make these last me a few more months. what can I do, clean it somehow and re lube or try a different lube or what?
Thanks

Old 07-19-2015, 09:26 AM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 72 Posts

wonder what the "pb blaster did to the cable liner ?
Maybe destroyed it ?
My can says "for loosening rusty parts"
Cannot find where it says "plastic lined cable cleaner".
It does say "caution PB blaster may affect some plastics"

The following users liked this post:
JHP (08-18-2016)
Old 07-19-2015, 09:43 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,538 Likes on 3,790 Posts

Pull the derby cover off and loosen the clutch adjuster all the way out. Now check your cable in the free state. Not sure what cable you have but all modern OEM cables on Harleys for the last 20 years have a self lubricating nylon inner liner. I doubt the blaster hurt it but who knows. I would try flushing it with a silicon slip lube just to flush it out but if in the free no load state it is tight, I would replace it.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:48 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts

PB Blaster? CHANGE THE CABLE! You can try deep sixing the old cable in oil or force lubricant under pressure thru the cable to "clear" it, but it will never be the same. Wrong tool for the job.

BTW - nice looking scooter!

Old 07-19-2015, 09:50 AM
jj5685
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Pull the derby cover off and loosen the clutch adjuster all the way out. Now check your cable in the free state. Not sure what cable you have but all modern OEM cables on Harleys for the last 20 years have a self lubricating nylon inner liner. I doubt the blaster hurt it but who knows. I would try flushing it with a silicon slip lube just to flush it out but if in the free no load state it is tight, I would replace it.
I've tried that and never did fix it. I think it may could be the actual lever rubbing. I'm going to try some grease on lever today and see. But them bars are hurting my wrists without any pull back, same pain as my mtn bike so I've ordered some burly apes and cable kit. I've spent so much this last couple weeks I feel sick ha ha

Old 07-19-2015, 09:55 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by jj5685
I've tried that and never did fix it. I think it may could be the actual lever rubbing. I'm going to try some grease on lever today and see. But them bars are hurting my wrists without any pull back, same pain as my mtn bike so I've ordered some burly apes and cable kit. I've spent so much this last couple weeks I feel sick ha ha
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but, wouldn't that call for a dry lubricant and not a grease?

Old 07-21-2015, 02:31 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts
Old 07-24-2015, 09:22 PM
jj5685
Intermediate

I got my cables installed and internally wired burlys and burly kit, man this is the best feeling clutch I've ever felt. I bet it's as light s my old shadow 600. Bars feel great so far, I'm going riding Sunday so I'll see how like them. Couple questions. I spoilt maybe a table spoon of primary. I had just replaced it 1000 miles ago. Do I need to replace what I dropped out or is their a minimum level?
Also how do you guys see out of your mirrors dropped down I get nothing but elbows. Do the make longer mirror stems to help see?

Old 07-25-2015, 02:35 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

If you want to look behind you, mirrors on top.

If you want to look cool, mirrors upside down.

Old 07-25-2015, 05:55 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,538 Likes on 3,790 Posts

Originally Posted by Next In Line
If you want to look behind you, mirrors on top.

If you want to look cool, mirrors upside down.
or if you remembered to shave the pits last night? just kidding jj, looks cool..

The primary is fine, it will sling it with only 1/2 a quart in there, they make long stem mirrors. I put extensions on mine. Made them from 1/2" hex cres bar..but pretty sure someone sells them.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 07-25-2015 at 06:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Sticky/ catchy cluch lever after lubing with pb blaster