Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

What Would Cause This...?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 10:24 PM
DinoM
Tourer
Received 69 Likes on 39 Posts
Default What Would Cause This...?

A few weeks ago I had to tear my primary apart to get to a stripped shifter lever. Put it all back together, tightened everything up, adjusted the clutch, proper amount of primary fluid.... you get the idea.

Everything was shifting smooth as silk. Really happy with how quiet and smooth the tranny shifted. Put the bike away for about a week and a half to go on a biz trip. Came back to it tonight, gave it a good wash and then ride. Noticed it's back to clunking into first and second gear hard. The rest seem okay but I guess my question is what would all of a sudden cause this? It's definitely been hotter and more humid lately. Not sure if that would cause the tranny and clutch to act differently or change anything. Could my clutch have all of a sudden fallen out of adjustment that quick?
Suggestions or comments once again appreciated and welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-30-2015, 08:17 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

The clutch will stick while your bike is sitting unused, it happens to all of us. You may find it improves after a while when taking it for a decent ride.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:47 PM
Kaycee
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine does the same thing I can set everything clutch, primary chain etc. shift's like BUTTER for the first few miles .It does this until I feel great about the way it shifts THEEEEN After that it clunks no matter cold or hot I run Redline oil in it . Wonder if ATF would help any I freeking hate that clunk.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:14 PM
DinoM
Tourer

Okay then... Doctor's orders... RIDE MORE!!!!

Seriously though... Thanks guys!
Kaycee... Yup I just started running Redline on this change. I was running Amsoil 20/50 but my HD dealer suggested trying Redline. Pretty pricey and I don't know if I notice a HUGE difference now. At first I thought, hey this Redline is awesome, everything is quiet and runs smooth. Now I'm thinking it wasn't so much the oil as it was I just dialed it in properly.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:57 AM
Neil
Road Captain
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

What do you run for trans oil? I find that when I run synthetic gear oil, Mobil 1 75/90 in mine, that the trans shifts much smoother. Really noticeable when I hop on the work motor and it starts clunking away. Dealer runs regular HD trans oil.

Neil
RDMC

Old 07-31-2015, 07:46 PM
DinoM
Tourer

Originally Posted by Neil
What do you run for trans oil? I find that when I run synthetic gear oil, Mobil 1 75/90 in mine, that the trans shifts much smoother. Really noticeable when I hop on the work motor and it starts clunking away. Dealer runs regular HD trans oil.

Neil
RDMC
Redline Shockproof in the trans and Redline Primary in the primary.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:25 PM
timsmcm
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have adjusted my clutch so many times, run every kind of oil with the right amount. Still sounds like a Pyle driver when shifting into 1st, and is notch in other gears. 10,000 miles and run redline shock in tranny, and redline in primary. Hate notch shifting.