Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Oil leak from BDL open primary

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 09:19 AM
paulie"bops"
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak from BDL open primary

Hi guys I know this is been discussed before but I have a 2012 street glide 103" motor work has been done cams, bumped up the compression,heads , throttlebody , exhaust, power commander the usual I guess like a stage 4 or 5 . Immediately after have the work done I noticed clutch slippage so I decided to go with the BDL open primary . After approximately 150 miles I started getting the leak on themain seal in the front of the primary . The seal has been changed twice tried installing it both directions and then we went with an aftermarket company supposed to be a better seal with the new race and everything and it's still leaking the shop did a leak down test make sure I wasn't getting extra pressure in the bottom and that was fine . I don't know where else to go with this it's getting the typical spray up underneath The bike onto the crossover pipe on exhaust and the kickstand when it's up I'm really puzzled don't know what else to look for any help would be greatly appreciated . The belt has approx A half to 3/4 inch of play in it so I know the belt isn't to tight , I know that's been discussed before . Even though a leak down test has been performed and it's tight I was wondering if there's any other way that I could be getting a buildup of pressure in the bottom end thanks again for any help

Old 08-11-2015, 08:57 PM
paulie"bops"
Stage III

Anyone?

Old 08-15-2015, 09:21 AM
paulie"bops"
Stage III

Any help ??

Old 10-04-2015, 10:03 AM
Asshole1020
Stage II
Default Just a thought

Originally Posted by paulie"bops"
Hi guys I know this is been discussed before but I have a 2012 street glide 103" motor work has been done cams, bumped up the compression,heads , throttlebody , exhaust, power commander the usual I guess like a stage 4 or 5 . Immediately after have the work done I noticed clutch slippage so I decided to go with the BDL open primary . After approximately 150 miles I started getting the leak on themain seal in the front of the primary . The seal has been changed twice tried installing it both directions and then we went with an aftermarket company supposed to be a better seal with the new race and everything and it's still leaking the shop did a leak down test make sure I wasn't getting extra pressure in the bottom and that was fine . I don't know where else to go with this it's getting the typical spray up underneath The bike onto the crossover pipe on exhaust and the kickstand when it's up I'm really puzzled don't know what else to look for any help would be greatly appreciated . The belt has approx A half to 3/4 inch of play in it so I know the belt isn't to tight , I know that's been discussed before . Even though a leak down test has been performed and it's tight I was wondering if there's any other way that I could be getting a buildup of pressure in the bottom end thanks again for any help
I haven't been into my 2012 tc yet but my old Evo had that problem. So I'm not sure about the new engines but my Evo had a sleeve on the crank that was a little pitted and that eats the new deals up in no time. So if ours has that sleeve I'd change it with a new seal. Hope that helps.

Old 10-04-2015, 10:15 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,539 Likes on 3,791 Posts

Have you looked real close at the faces of the steel sleeve that runs in the seal. It's very possible that if it is not perfect or the inboard matching face on the crank is not perfect, it will leak thru the sleeve. Years ago (old chain drives) before Harley added the quad seal to the transmission, it would leak like that.

Also make sure that you have both vents in the head going to the air filter with both hoses not kinked. The one way out butterfly poppet valves work best if there is a slight vacuum from the intake flow to keep them from shuddering. (least that is what it says in service manual)

If you do have a lot of cylinder leakage, that could be a problem.

If your cams have a lot of over lap, bet if you hook a vacuum gage to that throttle body CA canister plug, it will bounce like a yo-yo. However, it still should hold oil down there. All that bounce may dump a little more oil into filter but that hurts nothing. There is not enough vacuum at the discharges to actual pull liquid oil. It just adds more to the filter for catching dirt.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2018 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:14 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,806 Likes on 3,313 Posts

A shot in the dark but you didn't replace the rotor for your charging system recently as well did you? I did, it was a new drag specialties rotor with concealed magnets, any ways it's a two piece unit where the center is welded in but it was not centered properly throwing the balance on the crank off causing my main seal to leak and walk out of case. It's possible that your new front pulley could be doing the same. You can check it with a dial indicator to make sure it's running true tho eliminate any questions.