Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Inner Primary Bearing? It sounds like I put a Pro Charger on my bike!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 10:26 AM
h-d wrencher
Stellar HDF Member
Received 796 Likes on 302 Posts
Default Inner Primary Bearing? It sounds like I put a Pro Charger on my bike!

I have a 2009 Street Glide with about 37k on it. I have upgraded the compensator to the Screamin Eagle one year ago. I am almost certain that it is junk already. When I was at Sturgis last week I picked up a Baker Compensator from Mark. (Great group of guys and gals by the way.) I went back to them on Saturday afternoon to get an Attitude Adjuster but they were already packing up to head home. I should've just went and asked him as I am sure he would've dug one out for me. Anyway, when I take off and start going through the gears, when I pull in the clutch to shift, it sounds like a supercharged bike for a couple of seconds. While I wish it was, it isn't. I am wondering if this is the inner primary bearing making this noise. With 37k in it, I am wondering if I should just replace the IPB as long as it is apart. I set the belt tension with the tool to the correct tension, which I feel is too tight, so I don't think that is the problem. I have been chasing an intermittent clunking vibration when I go uphill. I have other posts on here about that also. On the way to Sturgis, it would run smooth uphill for a hundred miles and then for the next two hundred miles it felt like someone was throwing big rocks at my bike. I rode my brothers 2011 Ultra part of the way home from Sturgis and I could only wish mine ran as smooth as his. Sorry for the long post but I wanted to get as much info in here before I tear into it. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Old 08-11-2015, 03:14 PM
b_ilse
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd also look at the throw out bearing as well as the main shaft bearing. From what I've been able to dig up those are the likely candidates. I recently ran into this problem as well and just got back on Sunday from a road trip so I haven't had time to tear into it yet. Like you, I also have that clunking. However mine is only in 6th gear when I get on the throttle. Good luck to ya! Hope you figure it out. I'll check back and let you know what I end up with if I get to it sooner than later.

Old 08-11-2015, 04:15 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Here`s a way to determine if the IPB is making the noise.

Bike in neutral, clutch lever released, you will hear the noise.

Pull in clutch lever and drop into 1st gear, the noise will stop.

As you release the clutch lever and start moving, the noise will come back.

While you have the inner primary cover off you should remove the front pulley, spacer, and the big oil seal, so you can get a look at the ball bearing that supports the main drive gear.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 08-11-2015 at 04:18 PM.