Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Transmission input shaft play

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 11:46 AM
Mrtappan
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission input shaft play

Bike:
2000 Ultra Classic
Twin Cam, five speed

The stator was changed and after reassembly the bike stalled going into gear. Removal of the clutch cover from the primary showed that the diaphragm spring/bolts were hitting the outer primary cover. It was not having any issue with this prior to being disassembled, it simply wasn't charging.

The primary chain, drive gear, and clutch basket were removed. Upon inspection, the transmission input shaft has a significant amount of play. You can push/pull it about 1/8" an inch. When pushed in, it appears to align correctly and be far enough away from the outer primary cover to actuate the clutch. When the clutch is pulled in, it pushes it out the 1/8" or so and presses against the outer cover.

Is the basket simply not seated on the input shaft correctly? The retaining nut for the basket appears flush with the tip of the input shaft but doesn't tighten any farther. It was tightened using an impact gun (the same one I've used for everything before without issue).

I've changed the stator before on this bike and had no problems at all. It has markings where it's obvious the lower part of the clutch assembly is touching the outer primary.

Last edited by Mrtappan; 10-03-2015 at 11:48 AM.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:12 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,792 Likes on 3,303 Posts

You're mainshaft is held in position by the front bearing and the trap door bearing. I would remove the clutch release cover and check the nut and bearing to see if it loosened up.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:57 AM
Mrtappan
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suspected as much but with having to remove the entire exhaust to check I thought asking for second opinions first wouldn't hurt.

That bike has a Champion Sidecar mechanical reverse kit on it (which the owner states doesn't work) but that was the problem. The nut from the sidecar kit (that replaces the stock nut) that holds the input shaft in place had come loose.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:11 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,792 Likes on 3,303 Posts

Yea, sometimes the exhaust can be a PIA. I'm glad you got it corrected. Safe riding man.....