Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

probles with clutch engaged it just goes!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 06:39 PM
35yearstogetmycherrypopped
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation probles with clutch engaged it just goes!

ok so I replaced the stock handle bars on a 2013 softail blackline fxs. with todds cycle 14 " mini apes and some chromite steel braided cables, I did the throttle and idle cable as well as the clutch cable. I seem to be hearing a more of a whining noise. I adjusted the clutch as it says to do. I ran 500 miles and back... I kept hearing the noise so I tore off the primary cover to check the tensioner. my bike has almost 9k on dash and the shoe was pretty worn almost 1/8 of inch. makes sense that the noise is louder right? I got one on order and will be here this coming Monday a baker primary chain tensioner. im hoping this will fix the problem. anyways I adjusted the clutch and actually took the chain tensioner out to look at it, I thought it was self adjusting. I took it for a short ride a good 20 miles and it seemed half way decent. it sat for a cpl days and ive been trying to research the problem and no solutions. after I did the swap my check engine light came on. it ran the same as before. I just took it out a few minutes ago and could barley get to 2nd gear had to turn around to come home like the cables just came completely loose. anyone have any suggestions on what the deal is and how I can trouble shoot this? any advice would help a million haven't rode in 2 days and it finally stopped raining and stuck with no other vehicle wifey Is out of town with the suv. please help .... I was at a dead stop in first gear and no tension on any brakes and the bike was rolling. how could the adjustment be so off after one run? is it the primary chain tensioner just gone to ****?

2013 blackline vance and hines 2 into 2 slash cut
kurakyn mach 2 air cleaner and a tts mastertune.
in which Im still trying to figure out.

thx a lot buys ben

Old 10-24-2015, 09:29 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

That automatic adjuster has a nasty habit of ratcheting up and over tightening the chain. That is why we made the manual adjuster. I would start there, there should be 5/8 to 7/8 of free play in the chain, cold, at the tightest spot.

Old 10-24-2015, 11:18 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

Have the Hayden M6 tensioner, but will be switching over to your Baker Attitude adjuster once I get the baker comp Mark.

I think especially when you are hotrodding the bike hard the auto tensioners just don't due enough....or in the stock Harley ratchet style they over due it.