Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

07 transmission gremlin

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 12:52 PM
WiscoKid
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 07 transmission gremlin

During the off season I rebuilt my 2007 flhtc transmission with the help of my local Indy. It definitely needed it,a lot of the races and ball bearings were pitted and the whirling noise gave you an unsafe and uncomfortable feeling, especially on the interstate. I tore down the bike and did all the labor myself except for installing the new bearings in the rebuild kit, this is where my local Indy took over with the proper puller and bearing press. Everything went back together as it should and the bike shifts through all gears and overall rides much better than before. Here is where the problem comes in. Soon after my initial test ride, I started to ride a little more aggressively and when giving my bike more throttle and putting it under more of a load it would surge almost skip. If I accelerate slowly this doesn't happen only when I give it throttle. It also happens in all of the gears. After noticing this I thought maybe there was an issue with the clutch so I tore the primary apart and went through the clutch and all the plates and even added a Hayden tensioner and also the screaming Eagle compensator. After going through everything in the primary the problem still has not gone away. I then decided to check for any broken motor mounts and did not find any either. It almost feels as if the bike turns on and off very quickly, but it also makes kind of a thud noise. I have done a lot to this bike over the years, it has a 107 kit with stage 2 heads, S&S power tune duals, rush big Louie pipes with 2.5 inch baffles, and a power commander 5. I am wondering what to look at next, maybe a speed sensor? The reason I say this is because a very strange thing happened last night while test riding. All of the sudden my speedometer gauge dropped to 0 mph while i was doing 60 + mph. It stayed at zero for about 5 to 10 minutes, while the speedometer gauge was not working, my bike did not surge or skip at all. It actually ran like it should. When I roll to the next stop sign and put it in neutral and begin to take off the speedometer gauge started to work again and the surging came back!! Wondering if this could be a faulty speed sensor or a faulty relay? I am done throwing money at the problem and could really use some advice.

Old 11-13-2017, 11:42 PM
b bop n bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,909 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I have a stock o7 heritage and although didn't experienced the surge or skip, my speedo would quit at speed and bike would not hold idle. The turn sigs would not auto-cancel. This occurred intermittently. Replaced the speed sensor and problem has not returned.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:03 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

This surge/skip does it happen in any particular gear?

As for the speedometer , pull the speedo and clean it off. it is a magnet and will collect metal flakes over time.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:57 PM
b bop n bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,909 Likes on 1,074 Posts

after re-reading your post, I'm wondering if it might be a short or loose ground.

Old 11-17-2017, 04:29 PM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Check spline on stator rotor mine just were worn and there a thud with that. Also had to polish clutch hub the plates will stick on the hub and cause them to stick also some slippage bu t very little do to spring. Both are easy fixes the stator wheel is a part breakdown peice and clutch hub I just took air grinder to it and smoothed out the slight goudges plates were sticking to( also believe this may be the reason allot of people have problems with clutch adjustment I did )

Attached Thumbnails 07 transmission gremlin-img_1536.jpg   07 transmission gremlin-img_1535.jpg  

Last edited by hdpearson13; 11-17-2017 at 04:31 PM.