Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Baker Compensator install on 12 twin cam

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 04:35 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts
Default Baker Compensator install on 12 twin cam

I am no way affiliated with Baker. Nor am I a dealer for there parts .I bought a compensator and attitude chain adjuster at full boat retail 700 beans for both .
The reason? Damn stator took a dump. Bike has 40 k on it and sick of listening to the POS comp banging around and it was about gone. Also had ting welded the automatic adjuster as it had the primary chain way to F,n tight Last time I was in there.If these work out they will go in customer bikes.
Install? A breeze ....don't grind the primary cover on these newer bikes for the rotor. Damn inner primary comes off to easy. Do it and check the shift lever on trans while u have it apart. Also do as the instructions tell u.....check the alignment of the new comp and your clutch teeth. Mine were off pretty good. But I suspect I had and odd rotor. I swapped the rotor for one I had on the bench and it came pretty close to dead nuts with .012 shim.
Don't be afraid to ask Mark on here a question. I was leaving a message for him about my install......figuring he would get back too me in the next day. Yeah rite!!! Not even a min passed I had my simply to the point answer. No BS!!
The good part. I rode it after install. Start up is the first thing u will notice. No clunk no nothing .
There is some what of a performance gain u may or may not notice But it's there. I can hear the revs come up a bit quicker. The ole shi t I removed is all reciprocating weight.....stock crap is way heavier I believe than the new Baker unit.
The primary chain adjuster is simple and looks pretty well made. The install was about 2 hours . If you have never opened one up it will take a bit longer to look up stuff. Like clutch nut left handed but comp nut right. Think torque on it was 80 Ftpd 140 ft on comp.

The one thing and I only have gone 112 miles on it......it's pretty noisey .gear and chain noise not comp noise. But that may quiet down with a old chain running on new teeth .
It's not cheap...but looks to be pretty well made. There are oil holes in comp for oiling.
Gonna put some miles in it and see if we can quiet it down a bit. If it was my big motor hot rod bike I wouldn't even give a ship about the noise.

Last edited by Bumpandrun; 06-04-2016 at 06:44 PM.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:46 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member

500 miles now still pretty noisey . But starting and if u lug it.......perfect. Yah I know not supposed to lug. Not supposed to do a lot of things! Lol.

Old 06-04-2016, 09:30 PM
Teardrop
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

What do you mean by its noisy? Is it chain Noise?

Old 06-05-2016, 06:54 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Teardrop
What do you mean by its noisy? Is it chain Noise?
Yeah. It's chain/ gear noise. Like a blower or gear drive cam on a SBC. Inner primary bearing good.It was pretty quiet before the comp and adjuster change. Well other than the comp trying too climb out. Lol I'll let it go till 1000-1500 miles( next week). Pull the primary off and give a look. Was going to anyway. I also took note of direction primary chain was on and marked to put it back in same direction. I have seen that make noise. It's my road trip bike so pretty quiet mufflers. Lol

Last edited by Bumpandrun; 06-05-2016 at 06:59 PM.
Old 06-12-2016, 02:39 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member

Well 1400 miles still gear noise. But no More banging on start up or take off Gonna give it another 500-600 miles
It's so nice on take off . Solid and starts better than ever . Other than gear noise it's worked well

Old 06-19-2016, 05:54 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member

Well now a touch over 2200 miles it has quieted down some. I need to pull it apart and check everything now change fluid and some new gaskets now that I know it's staying.If your thinking about doing this......do it. It makes ship load of difference .
Money well spent BAKER!

Old 06-20-2016, 06:31 PM
NascarGuy
Supporter
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Not trying to be a nay sayer but I installed mine around April 1st and it grenaded this past week with just over 5000 miles on it. Gotta pull it apart and triage the damage. Sounded like the thug was going to rattle itself through the side of the primary.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:28 PM
Teardrop
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bumpandrun
Well now a touch over 2200 miles it has quieted down some. I need to pull it apart and check everything now change fluid and some new gaskets now that I know it's staying.If your thinking about doing this......do it. It makes ship load of difference .
Money well spent BAKER!
Thanks for all the information on the Baker Compensator. My SE comp (3rd replacement) is about due to be replaced and I've been wondering weather to replace it with the Baker comp or the newest of the new and improved SE comp.

Old 06-21-2016, 07:51 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Originally Posted by NascarGuy
Not trying to be a nay sayer but I installed mine around April 1st and it grenaded this past week with just over 5000 miles on it. Gotta pull it apart and triage the damage. Sounded like the thug was going to rattle itself through the side of the primary.
Let me know what happened, how was the chain alignment? Chain tension?

Old 06-21-2016, 08:47 AM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

compensator roller coaster ride.
I mean there are still many with the stock one running with no issues.
there are many with 1st gen SE comp
many with the Baker comp no issues.

Then there are opposite extremes. why? riding style, bad luck. what causes this wide range of result with this component.

Quick Reply: Baker Compensator install on 12 twin cam