Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Leak at rear primary...

Old 09-24-2016, 05:57 AM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member

Received 954 Likes on 455 Posts
Default Leak at rear primary...

I've replaced the race on the main shaft and replaced the oil seal twice on the rear primary, yet still it's leaking very badly. After riding any distance - short or far - and stop/park, it will drip about a tablespoon or two worth of oil. *While* riding, there's no telling how much it's leaking, but let's say that it covers the whole left side of the bike from the main shaft area on back. If I ride 200 miles, the primary will almost be empty and I have to refill it.

Any ideas to look at or try?

Old 09-24-2016, 10:29 AM
prplglide
Tourer
Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Any burrs on the main shaft at all?
Did you also replace the quad seal when you replaced the primary?
Is the main seal in correctly?
Is it possible that the seal(s) were put in incorrectly or damaged in some way when installed? <<< no offense meant.

Old 09-24-2016, 12:24 PM
PeterV
Tourer
Received 168 Likes on 59 Posts

And did you coat the inner primary mount bolts with rtv?

Old 09-24-2016, 04:15 PM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by prplglide
Any burrs on the main shaft at all?
Did you also replace the quad seal when you replaced the primary?
Is the main seal in correctly?
Is it possible that the seal(s) were put in incorrectly or damaged in some way when installed? <<< no offense meant.
No burrs, checked that well, even before I read it in my shop manual (just made sense, heh).

Quad seal? The seal I should only need to replace is on the back side of the rear primary that gets tapped in (spring side toward the bearing - facing outward from the frame/tranny) next to the bearing. It's about an inch and a half or so diameter. Is this what you're calling the "quad seal"? Here:

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....CASE%20HOUSING

part #12052A oil seal

The seal is in nice and straight, no cocking whatsoever (no offense taken, ya gotta ask to get rid of any questions just in case, I understand). As I said, spring side toward the bearing/toward outside of bike.

Originally Posted by PeterV
And did you coat the inner primary mount bolts with rtv?
No, got some new ones and didn't really think as much oil as is leaking could actually get out behind those 5 bolts. Is it possible though, that much oil?

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 01-02-2017 at 09:46 AM.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:32 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,467 Likes on 4,598 Posts

The leak is primary lube, so it is not the quad seal (the quad seal is on the transmission).

For that much oil to be leaking, it would seem like you would see quite a mess on the rear of the bike.

It may be something weird, like the sprocket shaft seal allowing the primary lube to be drawn into the crankcases...

Old 09-25-2016, 07:59 AM
PeterV
Tourer

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
The leak is primary lube, so it is not the quad seal (the quad seal is on the transmission).

For that much oil to be leaking, it would seem like you would see quite a mess on the rear of the bike.

It may be something weird, like the sprocket shaft seal allowing the primary lube to be drawn into the crankcases...

I think he's talking about the big o-ring (A)

...and sure there'd be a fair amount leaking from at least one of the bolts, it's proximity being at or below the oil level line. All the mount bolts need sealant or o-rings, depending on year and make

Old 09-25-2016, 10:40 AM
prplglide
Tourer
Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by tar_snake
No burrs, checked that well, even before I read it in my shop manual (just made sense, heh).

Quad seal? The seal I should only need to replace is on the back side of the rear primary that gets tapped in (spring side toward the bearing - facing outward from the frame/tranny) next to the bearing. It's about an inch and a half or so diameter. Is this what you're calling the "quad seal"? Here:

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....CASE%20HOUSING

part #12052A oil seal

The seal is in nice and straight, no cocking whatsoever (no offense taken, ya gotta ask to get rid of any questions just in case, I understand). As I said, spring side toward the bearing/toward outside of bike.

I apologize; I completely mis-understood your post. I thought you pulled off the inner primary and removed the seal on the output shaft of the trans.

Old 09-25-2016, 11:23 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,467 Likes on 4,598 Posts

Originally Posted by PeterV
I think he's talking about the big o-ring (A)
Not talking about an o ring.

I suggested that the sprocket shaft seal could be bad, allowing the primary lube to be drawn into the crankcase.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 01-02-2017 at 09:46 AM.
Old 09-25-2016, 04:12 PM
PeterV
Tourer

Not talking about an o ring.

I suggested that the sprocket shaft seal could be bad, allowing the primary lube to be drawn into the crankcase.
Ya, not you...another poster

Old 09-25-2016, 07:59 PM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member

Oh believe me, there *is* a hell of a mess of oil spray on the rear and left side of the bike (from the primary back). Luckily it doesn't get to the rear brakes, but I'm worried it'll make my brand new belt wear super fast (damn things ain't cheap at $240!) and simply hate all that oil spraying and constantly buying oil to fill the primary.

It's getting to the point I can damn near take down the primary blindfolded, heh. If I could afford it, I'd just say F-it and get a dry clutch drive, but us poorer folk living on disability checks don't really get that kind of option financially, , oh well. I'll check the sealing bolts once more...maybe a little black silicon might be all that's needed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Leak at rear primary...