Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Compensator FIX !

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 05:04 PM
sbeamer
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Talking Compensator FIX !

Finally!! I don't remember who, but I read someone's post in here about a year ago, about the Screamin Eagle compensator from the MoCo. A lot of comps start making the dreaded "ratcheting" sound after a few miles. It is really annoying. Especially when the service mgr. @ the dealership says, " they ALL do that". (wouldn't you just love to reach over the counter and slap the **** out of him)?
Anyway, the elusive post I am referring to, stated, he put an extra belleville washer in the spring pack. Since reading that, I replaced mine with a Baker unit. The Baker works pretty good, but, not as perfect as I want. When I start the bike, I don't want even the slightest noise coming from the primary. I've had 11 or 12 H-D's, and this is the 2nd one I had comp issues with. My 09 was fixed with a SE comp. and never made another peep. My 15 started to make noise after 2000 miles and never stopped! Until today!
I removed the Baker, and put the stock one back in. NOTE: 2011 & up, ALL have the SE comp. in it from the factory. I had to buy a spring pack from the dealer, cause I couldn't find the right size online, and took the smallest washer from it and added it to the original pack.
The washers are actually called belleville washers. They are cupped,spring steel. When the are put together, facing opposite, they become a spring. (That's just a very vague explanation).
So, the dealer had put a shim in between the spring pack and rotor to give it more pressure, and it worked much better, but it still made the ratcheting sound. So I took out the shim, put in the small washer,(facing the SAME direction as the other small one), and put it back together. This is the FIRST time my compensator has not made a PEEP since it has 2000 miles on it!!! Success!!!! Total cost for this fix was $90 for spring pack,$26 for oil, and 1 hour of time!
After having this apart 7 times, I am finally happy!

Old 11-12-2016, 06:19 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,541 Posts

any pic's ?

Old 11-12-2016, 06:25 PM
mv70
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by hardheaded
any pic's ?
+1

Old 11-13-2016, 07:51 AM
sbeamer
Road Captain

Originally Posted by hardheaded
any pic's ?
sorry I don't. I could send 1 of the remaining spring pack.
here's a link to a picture. Notice the smaller of the 3 discs. there is only 1 of those. That's the one you need.

Last edited by sbeamer; 11-13-2016 at 08:27 AM. Reason: link didn't work
The following users liked this post:
mv70 (11-13-2016)
Old 11-13-2016, 11:07 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,541 Posts

you had to buy the entire spring pack to get the one spring ? if this is the fix HD should be selling these parts piece by piece.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:27 PM
sbeamer
Road Captain

Ya, you're right! The dealer wouldn't warrantee the comp when it was only a year old! They put a shim in it, (.032) and it was noticeably better, but not perfect. I contacted HD corporate, and they said they wouldn't over ride the dealers decision. I told them I would never buy a new bike from them ever again!. I'm looking for a company that makes them for HD. These are used in many industrial apps.

Old 11-15-2016, 12:34 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

The double bellville spring issue has been around for quite a while.. My 07 egc has has it for a year or 2.. It's not new. Was a good fix for the early comps if you didn't mind removing the spring crimp on the holder.

FWIW, my 07 still knocks a little at idle when cold but the motor has cam, heads, bore kit etc.

Old 11-16-2016, 11:10 AM
*Road King*
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

so just for clarification, the smaller belleville spring washer faces in or out?

Old 11-16-2016, 11:13 AM
*Road King*
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 11-16-2016, 11:23 AM
mastergunnera8
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by sbeamer

sorry I don't. I could send 1 of the remaining spring pack.
here's a link to a picture. Notice the smaller of the 3 discs. there is only 1 of those. That's the one you need.

So exactly which of these did you use? And the SE compensator, was that the newest design, 2014 I think?

Quick Reply: Compensator FIX !